Export thread

How long do EZTs last?

W

wbw

I currently have a 42" Fastrak that I got new in '07. I have approximately 280 hours on the machine and have not had any trouble so far with the EZT Hydros. The manual says that they are sealed for life. I mow 1.25 acres a week and it takes about 75 to 80 minutes a cut. What life expectancy can I expect from the EZT transmissions?

I have another thread going currently about an '09 Fastrak with ZT2800 Hydros that I'm considering buying. The machine only has 35 hours on it. The ZT-2800 are serviceable as I understand it. With 280 hours on my EZTs and a machine with 35 hours on ZT-2800s that I can hopefully pick up for less than $2500, should I make the switch?

Thanks for any help.

BlazNT

BlazNT

My hydros are also called sealed for life. That is a lie. I got the numbers off my hydros and found the manufactures manual. They are serviceable. So check yours and see if yours are serviceable. Hydros last as long as they will if you treat them correctly. Life of a hydro is not a thing you can really measure. I have seen hydros die in under 200 hours and last over 2000 on the same machine different owner. The way they are treated is very important.

W

wbw

My hydros are also called sealed for life. That is a lie. I got the numbers off my hydros and found the manufactures manual. They are serviceable. So check yours and see if yours are serviceable. Hydros last as long as they will if you treat them correctly. Life of a hydro is not a thing you can really measure. I have seen hydros die in under 200 hours and last over 2000 on the same machine different owner. The way they are treated is very important.

Thanks for your input.

I'm not hard on my equipment or my cars. I never run the Hustler at full speed. Most of my property is flat. I would probably have a decent shot at my EZTs lasting a good while.

Ric

Ric

I currently have a 42" Fastrak that I got new in '07. I have approximately 280 hours on the machine and have not had any trouble so far with the EZT Hydros. The manual says that they are sealed for life. I mow 1.25 acres a week and it takes about 75 to 80 minutes a cut. What life expectancy can I expect from the EZT transmissions?

I have another thread going currently about an '09 Fastrak with ZT2800 Hydros that I'm considering buying. The machine only has 35 hours on it. The ZT-2800 are serviceable as I understand it. With 280 hours on my EZTs and a machine with 35 hours on ZT-2800s that I can hopefully pick up for less than $2500, should I make the switch?

Thanks for any help.

The EZT hydros are a sealed unit and shouldn't be tampered with according to the manufacturer. The problem is there's no way to really service the unit without pulling the unit out of the mower that I know of. If you think there is something wrong and they need to be serviced take the machine back to the dealer and let them have a look and get there opinion on what should be done. I do know that the 2800 hydro's depending on the mower manufacturer need to be service at any where from 300 to 500 hrs, Cub Cadet says every 300hrs. If I had a chance to pick up the Hustler Fastrak with 35 hrs that your talking about I think I grab the thing cause it sounds like a good buy.

W

wbw

The EZT hydros are a sealed unit and shouldn't be tampered with according to the manufacturer. The problem is there's no way to really service the unit without pulling the unit out of the mower that I know of. If you think there is something wrong and they need to be serviced take the machine back to the dealer and let them have a look and get there opinion on what should be done. I do know that the 2800 hydro's depending on the mower manufacturer need to be service at any where from 300 to 500 hrs, Cub Cadet says every 300hrs. If I had a chance to pick up the Hustler Fastrak with 35 hrs that your talking about I think I grab the thing cause it sounds like a good buy.

Thanks Ric.

I am having no Hyrdo issues currently with my Hustler. Electrical issues yes.

I would be all over this 48 Fastrak if it didn't look like 35 rough hours. The deck has never been cleaned underneath (from what I could tell at a quick glance). The discharge chute looks like it has 10,000 hours of use. I've never seen a chute this bad looking. Maybe dealer exchanged the chute from another machine they were trying to sell. Who knows. I'm just concerned from the appearance of the machine. 35 hours is great, unless the hour meter was disconnected at some point. The story is that it's an '09 bought new in '11 and the owner hardly used it and is now unstable mentally. I would be dealing with owner's sister if I decide to make an offer.

Ric

Ric

Thanks Ric.

I am having no Hyrdo issues currently with my Hustler. Electrical issues yes.

I would be all over this 48 Fastrak if it didn't look like 35 rough hours. The deck has never been cleaned underneath (from what I could tell at a quick glance). The discharge chute looks like it has 10,000 hours of use. I've never seen a chute this bad looking. Maybe dealer exchanged the chute from another machine they were trying to sell. Who knows. I'm just concerned from the appearance of the machine. 35 hours is great, unless the hour meter was disconnected at some point. The story is that it's an '09 bought new in '11 and the owner hardly used it and is now unstable mentally. I would be dealing with owner's sister if I decide to make an offer.

If your not having any issues with the hydro's I sure wouldn't mess around with them but if you should ever need to this site may come in handy, you can down load the PDF it only takes a minute. It does say in the service manual that the EZT should not need servicing for the life of the mower of which it was installed.

EZT (ZT-2100-2200)

I'd also be very careful of the other mower if it's as bad as you say, it sounds like they disconnected the hour meter.

W

wbw

I'd also be very careful of the other mower if it's as bad as you say, it sounds like they disconnected the hour meter.

The dealer did confirm that the '09 was bought new in September of '11. That would account for some low hours. I just wish the appearance matched the 35 hours.

Actually the top side isn't too bad looking. But the underneath has most likely never been cleaned and the chute looks horrible.

Ric

Ric

The dealer did confirm that the '09 was bought new in September of '11. That would account for some low hours. I just wish the appearance matched the 35 hours.

Actually the top side isn't too bad looking. But the underneath has most likely never been cleaned and the chute looks horrible.

As far as the chute goes I wouldn't worry to much about that, I don't think I've ever had a mower I didn't have to replace those on. I would how ever get the thing on a lift and scrape the deck and check out along with the spindles and see if there sealed bearing or the grease-able type, cause if the deck has never been cleaned chances are the spindles have never been done if they are grease-able. 35 hours isn't bad if there there the grease-able type you should be able to do them and they should be in good shape, hopefully there the sealed type.

W

wbw

As far as the chute goes I wouldn't worry to much about that, I don't think I've ever had a mower I didn't have to replace those on. I would how ever get the thing on a lift and scrape the deck and check out along with the spindles and see if there sealed bearing or the grease-able type, cause if the deck has never been cleaned chances are the spindles have never been done if they are grease-able. 35 hours isn't bad if there there the grease-able type you should be able to do them and they should be in good shape, hopefully there the sealed type.

Thanks for the tip.

G

gabowman

Cut the sisters grass with it. Heck, cut her neighbor's grass with it while youre at it. That's called "trying it out". Listen to it, make a decision. The price sounds right.

W

wbw

Cut the sisters grass with it. Heck, cut her neighbor's grass with it while youre at it. That's called "trying it out". Listen to it, make a decision. The price sounds right.

The mower is at a dealer. It is on display there as a favor to the owner and sister who are in Florida. I'm in Maryland. There is very little grass to be cut at the dealer and it has already been cut.

I'm even more hesitant now because it's already September. If I buy this and don't get mine sold before winter then I have two mowers and a snow blower that need to be in the garage and there is not room for three pieces of equipment. Of course one could be left outside but I hate doing that.

Carscw

Carscw

If you are going to use the snow blower this winter why not leave it out?

It is outdoor power equipment.

W

wbw

If you are going to use the snow blower this winter why not leave it out?

It is outdoor power equipment.

I could do that. But I'm anal about keeping my stuff fairly clean and protected if possible. I would feel better having it inside.

W

wbw

I appreciate everyone who has responded to this thread, but it appears that we don't really know how long the EZT hydros should last. I guess there are too many variables. Hard use vs easy use. Running at full speed vs running slower. Hills vs flat ground.

Carscw

Carscw

The ezt hydro is made to last the life of the mower.

I am 250 lbs I run my mowers harder then you could even think possible.
I mow any hill that I can get a mower to hold. I go balls to the wall fast all the time. Always cutting 3 foot or more tall weeds.

My toro has over 2000 hours on it and never have had to touch the hydro drives.

I run my RPMs at 4500.

My feelings are it is not worth the extra money just for bigger drives.

W

wbw

The ezt hydro is made to last the life of the mower.

I am 250 lbs I run my mowers harder then you could even think possible.
I mow any hill that I can get a mower to hold. I go balls to the wall fast all the time. Always cutting 3 foot or more tall weeds.

My toro has over 2000 hours on it and never have had to touch the hydro drives.

I run my RPMs at 4500.

My feelings are it is not worth the extra money just for bigger drives.

I'm realizing that I probably don't need the better drives either. I've only got 1.25 ac and I'm pretty easy on my equipment. If I make a purchase it will probably be in the spring so I have a better chance of selling my current machine. I'll stick with the EZT drives and just get a larger machine. My 42" only cuts 36". More would be better.

Ric

Ric

I'm realizing that I probably don't need the better drives either. I've only got 1.25 ac and I'm pretty easy on my equipment. If I make a purchase it will probably be in the spring so I have a better chance of selling my current machine. I'll stick with the EZT drives and just get a larger machine. My 42" only cuts 36". More would be better.

Your talking about a larger unit in the spring, keep in mind that the drives are basically match to the weight of the machine as well as HP. Your EZT is only rated at 900lbs the weight of the machine and rider combined. The 2800 at 1000lbs, 3100 at 1200lbs, and the 3400 drives at 1600lbs GVW so if you step up to a larger machine you probably wont have the EZT drives.

Ron3

Ron3

Your talking about a larger unit in the spring, keep in mind that the drives are basically match to the weight of the machine as well as HP. Your EZT is only rated at 900lbs the weight of the machine and rider combined. The 2800 at 1000lbs, 3100 at 1200lbs, and the 3400 drives at 1600lbs GVW so if you step up to a larger machine you probably wont have the EZT drives.

Ron3

Ron3

If you have around an acre to mow it probably would take an hour per mowing, most home owners mow about 25 hours or less per year at that rate it would take 16 years to put 400 Hours on the EZT transaxle. The EZT,s should last a minimum of 400 hours and probably much longer. For a lot of people it makes no sense to buy the bigger transaxles. Do the math!

You may not hear back from any you posted after, the date on last post was Sept. 2 2014....

Ron3

Ron3

My bad lol!

No biggie, Good info in the archives..

C

clubairth

Yes old thread for sure!
He is making a big mistake by operating the mower at less than full speed. New people need to understand a hydro-static drive must be operated a full engine throttle at all times. That's how they are designed to work. You adjust your ground speed using the twin control arms.

It's also stated in the manual if you look.

C

cwtex04

I have a 42” Mini Fastrak with a Honda motor that I bought new in 2006 . It has the EZT transmissions and I currently have a little over 1300hrs . It has just started acting up mostly on inclines and mostly the left side . I’m currently looking into a new Fastrak 48” . Looked into replacement transmission but don’t really want to sink that much into it . Also having some power issues. I believe it’s the coils , I replaced them about 600-700 hrs ago or roughly 6years ago . Talked to service department about the transmission and they say around 1200hrs is a good life on them . Sure hope a new Fastrak is as good as the one I’ve had .