How do I get this spark plug out?

Shawn R.

Threads
I have an old Craftsman riding mower and the spark plug is on the front of the mower. I tried my 5/8 spark plug socket which should have fit it. The problem is the recess is too small, so the socket can't go all the way over it. I have heard about those thin-walled sockets and decided to go into AutoZone to buy one. The guy showed me what they had and told me he doesn't think they have the thin-walled sockets. The ones he showed me were the exact same as the one I had. I thought about going to Wal-Mart but decided against it because I figured it might be better to just order one. I want to make sure I'm getting the right one, so can anybody give me a link to one of them?

Last edited:

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
see if you have a 13/16 that will fit. Years ago there were some smaller plugs too.

Honest Abe

Threads
I have an old Craftsman riding mower and the spark plug is on the front of the mower. I tried my 5/8 spark plug socket which should have fit it. The problem is the recess is too small, so the socket can't go all the way over it. I have heard about those thin-walled sockets and decided to go into AutoZone to buy one. The guy showed me what they had and told me he doesn't think they have the thin-walled sockets. The ones he showed me were the exact same as the one I had. I thought about going to Wal-Mart but decided against it because I figured it might be better to just order one. I want to make sure I'm getting the right one, so can anybody give me a link to one of them?
see if a friend/neighbor might have a deep-well socket in the proper size . . . oops, I meant to ask - have you sprayed in and around the socket with some WD-40 or something to help break it free from corrosion ???

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Another hack would to get a spare socket and grind the outer shell (round) until the socket slips into place. Note: You want to this with a socket that you are willing to part with like a cheap Chinese socket.

The thin wall socket can break easily as the wall is down to only 1mm thick.