Hour meter sleeping on the job!!

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
When I installed this meter, I checked it to see what its voltage threshold was and it was 13.0-13.1 VDC. Although the system voltage isn't as high as I would expect, the battery is always in full or almost full charge. The battery is a TSC 420 CA that is about 2 years old. As it is sealed, I cannot check the specific gravity of the electrolyte. I just realized that putting 600 hours on an hourmeter will take 25 days, so I'll think about it!!! New meters should be here tomorrow. Just did a 200 hour service, but didn't change the engine oil yet. Machine could have 30-50 more hours on it than the meter shows. Meter periodically flashes what is possibly a fault code, 0094.0, still haven't been able to find out what it means.
Mad Mackie in CT

Last edited:

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hobbs/Honeywell meters arrived today. I installed one in my Tiger Cub and as I have just done 200 and 500 hour services plus an engine oil and filter change, I can now track the hours. Will do my usual mid season hydraulic oil and filter change soon. It is nice to have a functioning hour meter!!! I've had it with the digital LCD units crapping out on me, now all my machines, except my Hustler, have quartz analog meters and they all work!!!! The charging system is operating normally. I'm OK with this meter running when the key is on as I do a fair amount of dethatching in the spring and fall for cleanup, most of this time without the deck running, then I raise up the dethatcher and run the mower/collection system to suck up the stuff.
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

Last edited:

tigercat

Threads
I'm glad your happy with the meters.
NO MORE BATTERIES!:laughing:

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've done all services and filter changes to bring me back to zero plus 610 hours on my Tiger Cub. Air filter and spark plugs are replaced on condition. Today I visited my local Scag, JD/Husqvarna and Tractor Supply which are in the same town, Scag dealer had 48" and 52" Tiger Cats and 52" Cheetah plus others in stock!!! I looked over both models and drooled on them some, still prefer the Tiger Cats, but the $$$$, WOW!!! I prefer Husqvarna chainsaws and will soon purchase a trimmer type saw, but the one that I would like is $600!!! Again WOW!!! I must be getting to old as these dollars shock me!!!

tigercat

Threads
Again WOW!!! I must be getting to old as these dollars shock me!!!

Living in this state shocks me......I have to purchase another home heating oil delivery very soon. I'm trying to put it off. The guy will wack me nearly 700 bucks. Like I said, this state....

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi tigercat,
I did come home with a new Husqvarna T540XP which is a top handled trim type saw, nice machine!! I traded my Husq 390XP that was very clean and low time so I'm a happy camper!!!
Now, for the old Scag hourmeter!!! I was about to trash it and noticed that it has three terminals on it with one being covered. I cut the covering off the 3rd terminal, connected it to a small 12volt battery and it started clocking time!! Chatted with my local Scag parts guy and he told me that although Scag has two different part numbers for essentially the same meter, the insulated terminal is different between the two P/N meters. So, depending on how the meter is wired, putting power to it will operate it or when it senses an increase in system voltage from the charging system it will operate. Not sure why Scag did this!!! I was going to cut it open with my bandsaw, but now I'm going to play with it on a battery just for fun!!! :cool: Meanwhile, the Hobbs/Honeywell analog meter is going to stay on the Tiger Cub!!!

tigercat

Threads
Last fall when I replaced my Scag meter for the analog meter, it was blinking that it was time for the oil change. It was working as it should, just I didn't like the meter. I did keep that meter on the shelf above the computer desk just to glance at it from time to time. One day I'll look up at it and see it has died. Then I'll say to myself, replacing the meter was the right thing to do.....I hate batteries.:smile: Glad to hear you got a great saw deal.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just thinking, why am I going to spend time playing with this meter, so it will be headed for the bandsaw!!! My other new Hobbs meter is connected to another small battery and in about a month it will be up to 630 hours or so and I will put it on the Scag so it will be total time per the meter. I have the alarm set on my cell phone to remind me!!! Meanwhile!!!! My neighbor and friend of 45 years thinks that I am "nuts"!!! He may very well be right!! HaHa!!! He doesn't understand the problems that an aircraft mech can get into with the FAA from not having researched an aircrafts paperwork enough to determine the correct time on an aircraft when someone else replaced the hourmeter and didn't correct the aircraft logbook!!! Old aircraft mech Mackie!!

Last edited:

tigercat

Threads
Ahh, I did the same as you when I swapped the meter. Of course it had 20 HRS on it not a months worth. The sealed lead is for 12V and it will run all the time? interesting. My old "scag" meter is still blinking oil change needed at 19.2 hrs.......as it sits on the shelf near me right now...

Well you getting closer on the time?

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
The sealed terminal is the one away from the other two. I cut the seal off and connected it to the positive of a small battery and the negative to the other terminal that is in line with it and the meter started clocking very accurate time. I also noticed that the meter flashes 0093.0 periodically and realized that this is the number marked on the rear of the meter, the numbers to the left are manufacture date. I have switched back to the other terminal and with just battery power it will not clock time, but if I put a small charger on the battery, the voltage increases and as it passes 13.5 volts, the meter starts clocking time. This seems a little unnecessary to me, but this is the way it is setup. Put power to your meter and if the hour glass symbol flashes then the meter is clocking time. It may flash between oil change and hours.
Check out the pics, not very clear, Oh well!!!
Now that I have a working meter on my machine, I am becoming aware that the Scag meter has been screwing up for a much longer time than I had thought!!!!

Attachments

• P8030002.JPG
    P8030002.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 16
  • P8030003.JPG
    P8030003.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited: