Hour meter on Gravely HD question

bruce4

Forum Newbie
Threads
The original hourmeter on my Scag Tiger Cub started to read 9999.9 and would show the actual time when I pushed on one corner of the LCD screen. I chatted with the parts man at my local Scag dealer and he told me that Scag knew of the problem and had changed vendors. I bought a new meter but I don't remember if there was any display before I installed it. Scag meters do have an internal battery and a memory that indicates maintenance due regarding engine oil change intervals. The display stays live and when I store this machine for the winter. I remove the battery and put it in one of my GTs that only gets used in winter.
I cut the old hourmeter open on my bandsaw and was able to pry out the memory battery and it was a standard button battery that is used in some watches and computers, however potted in epoxy in the hourmeter.
The hourmeter in my Ingersoll 4018 GT is an analog type and will click away when the keyswitch is on regardless if the engine is running or not and will eventually kill the battery.
Today I was at my local Scag dealer looking over the Scag machines in their show room and I noticed that both Tiger Cats on display showed a clear screen on the hourmeters. The batteries were not installed in these machines, so I'm not sure what initiates the display in these meters.
I was just doing a google search for hourmeters and there is every configuration possible available. It all depends what the OEM specifies from the vendor.

Hello I just bought a ZT 42 and had a hour meter installed by dealer. I got it home and meter does not seem to work. It reads 0000.1 after two mows, about 1.7 hours of mowing. I called dealer he said check connections. I did and they seem fine. One wire P connected to a purple wire in key switch and one wire N to frame. Any idea why meter won't work?

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello I just bought a ZT 42 and had a hour meter installed by dealer. I got it home and meter does not seem to work. It reads 0000.1 after two mows, about 1.7 hours of mowing. I called dealer he said check connections. I did and they seem fine. One wire P connected to a purple wire in key switch and one wire N to frame. Any idea why meter won't work?

Your dealer should correct that immediately!!!! I'm certain you paid extra for the hour meter to be installed and not working is unacceptable for a warranted ZTR. Call your dealer and tactfully "insist" that he correct the problem. If he balks...contact Gravely and give them the dealers name. Here is a link to their Support webpage...they are SERIOUS about support after the sale!!! Start up a live chat and ask the Customer Support Rep what they suggest that you do. I would think at least they would contact your dealer and put a little pressure on him for making it right.

Support Home Page

bruce4

Forum Newbie
Threads
Your dealer should correct that immediately!!!! I'm certain you paid extra for the hour meter to be installed and not working is unacceptable for a warranted ZTR. Call your dealer and tactfully "insist" that he correct the problem. If he balks...contact Gravely and give them the dealers name. Here is a link to their Support webpage...they are SERIOUS about support after the sale!!! Start up a live chat and ask the Customer Support Rep what they suggest that you do. I would think at least they would contact your dealer and put a little pressure on him for making it right.

Support Home Page

Yes my dealer was able to get me a new meter and a heat shield at no cost. My new mower was burning up my grass every time my wife stopped or slowed down. I wonder if all mowers with the Kawasaki motors are doing this. Have not received the items yet.

bruce4

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well I finally figured it out today. After calling two gravely dealers and both telling me the same thing which did not work I found the wiring diagram on line. All I had to do was run another wire from the back of hour meter labeled I to the battery positive. This caused the hour glass picture on the meter to flash slowly and therefore change time. Wala thank goodness for the internet. :wink: