Export thread

Hour Meter is Always On

T

tomsariens

Should the hour meter turn off when my key is off on 2023 Ariens Ikon 918005 zero turn mower? Mine stays on and I'm concerned that may be weakening my battery.

TonyPrin

TonyPrin

I'm not familiar with your model but can tell you hour meters stay on frequently, although they don't continue to register time. Drain from the battery should be minimal and some have a separate battery backup. That being said, batteries should be disconnected when the mower is not being used for a long period.

M

MParr

No.
Although, it doesn’t continue to add time when not in operation.
Get you a Battery Tender Jr.

D

DK35vince

The hour meter on my Snapper Pro is the same way. (numbers always showing)
But it sits all winter and starts right up in the spring. Doesn't seem to affect my battery at all (even after setting for months)

My former Toro & current Scag show hours always as well. They do have back up tiny batteries in them.
but for winter or long periods I do quick-connect one of my battery MINDers....

P

POW123

Should the hour meter turn off when my key is off on 2023 Ariens Ikon 918005 zero turn mower? Mine stays on and I'm concerned that may be weakening my battery.
The meter should turn off when not in use. I contacted Ariens about mine and they stated that yes, the meter should go off. Mine was still under warranty so they fixed the problem with replacing the meter with a new one and installing a new key assembly that cuts off that circuit when I turn it off. Haven't had a problem since.

M

MParr

The meter should turn off when not in use. I contacted Ariens about mine and they stated that yes, the meter should go off. Mine was still under warranty so they fixed the problem with replacing the meter with a new one and installing a new key assembly that cuts off that circuit when I turn it off. Haven't had a problem since.
I’ve owned two Gravely ZTRs and the hour meter is always showing the current hours. The elapsed time doesn’t change until the mower is running. The hour meters have an internal battery. When those internal batteries fail, a new hour meter will need to be installed.

T

tomsariens

Thank you. I will contact Ariens and, hopefully, have the same result as you. Did you have to take your mower to the Ariens dealer or did they send someone to you?

M

MParr

Thank you. I will contact Ariens and, hopefully, have the same result as you. Did you have to take your mower to the Ariens dealer or did they send someone to you?
I honestly think that you are wasting your time. Like I said, they are designed to stay on.
We do not know what make and model of mower POW123 has or had.

P

POW123

I honestly think that you are wasting your time. Like I said, they are designed to stay on.
We do not know what make and model of mower POW123 has or had.
I own 6 2019 Ariens Commercial ZT Mowers and each has been upgraded for a key circuit shutoff when you turn off the ignition. By doing this I don't have to pay for battery backup.

M

MParr

I own 6 2019 Ariens Commercial ZT Mowers and each has been upgraded for a key circuit shutoff when you turn off the ignition. By doing this I don't have to pay for battery backup.
Would you care to share with us what 6 Ariens commercial zero turns that you own?

P

POW123

Would you care to share with us what 6 Ariens commercial zero turns that you own?
XL-60

M

MParr

Sorry, Ariens Ikon XL 60 is not a commercial mower.
Good try though.

P

POW123

Sorry, Ariens Ikon XL 60 is not a commercial mower.
Good try though.

P

POW123

Ariens IKON Xl60 Pro is a commercial Mower 25 hp with Kohler 7000

How bout a pic of your fleet ?

M

MParr

Ariens IKON Xl60 Pro is a commercial Mower 25 hp with Kohler 7000
Nope. Try again.
The Kohler 7000 is not a commercial engine.
The only Ariens mower that is close to commercial is the Zenith.

P

POW123

Nope. Try again.
The Kohler 7000 is not a commercial engine.
The only Ariens mower that is close to commercial is the Zenith.
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but your wrong. It's both a residential and commercial and is more in common use for the commercial side with added improvements. Maybe you should check better since its a 915228.

M

MParr

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but your wrong. It's both a residential and commercial and is more in common use for the commercial side with added improvements. Maybe you should check better since its a 915228.
Right! I’ve already checked.
That’s why Lowe’s sold them.
They could be purchased for under $4,000. Hydro-Gear ZT2800 transaxles.
It’s a residential mower.
It’s like saying that a Toro Timecutter or a Hustler Raptor are commercial mowers.
Just because someone uses a residential mower to make money doesn’t mean the mower is a commercial unit.
Keep trying.
Or, keep trolling.

S

Stevedore

I had an hour meter on a small chipper/shredder which I sold about 5 years ago. I saved the meter, intending to install it on my next chipper, and it's still sitting on my bench displaying the hours as of when I took it off the old machine. Just my $.02.

C

chinookmtp

Mine is always on. Ferris ISX2200. Switches from engine hours to PTO hours when blades are engaged. I also use battery tender Jr. trickle charge on my equipment, motorcycle, garage queen old car, etc..my batteries last for years longer than ones I didn't use trickle charge on. Just my 2 cents.

T

tomsariens

Thanks! It seems odd to me that the meter is always on, but I guess I don't need to worry about my battery being drained.

J

jviews12

I agree that the meter drain is minimal (< 10Ma). However, if it should be off, this is a symppton that MAYBE something else is on at the same time. Use your volt/ohm/amp meter and measure parasitic draw by placing meter on AMPS, moving red lead to proper hole, and connecting between battery and either black or red wire. This will tell us your parasitic drain. Your mower may need time to calm down after being off (like a car), I do not know. I do this for anything I own CAR TRUCK BOAT lawnmower etc when it first comes in so that I know where it stands on the subject. To simplify life, I have a log book where I record date, hours, and what was observed or measured for all machinery. Makes life easier, so WRITE IT DOWN.

L

lefty2cox

Have you checked the wiring diagram for the unit?

T

tschwarting

I have REMOVED hour meters from machines before and yes, the meter will continue to be "on", but they don't "draw" anything. So I'm sure it won't be a draw on your battery.

K

ksvondrak

I have a Grasshopper and one of the segments wouldn't work. I contacted the meter manufacturer and they sent me a new one. The new one came displaying all zeros before it was even plugged in. The old one is still sitting on my tool box and still shows the hours from when I removed it, and that was a year ago.

P

pshonore

My John Deere E150 mower is the same. Hour meter always on. Almost 5 years old and no battery problems.

G

GrumpyCat

That I have seen (not knowing your specific model) LCD hour meters are internally powered. The display stays on all the time even when all wires are disconnected.

If you have only 2 wires then one is ground and the other is power. The meter counts when the power wire is hot. If you have an oil pressure light the hour meter is usually connected to that so as to count only when the engine is running.

U

ummagumma

Most have a roughly 5 year, non replaceable internal battery. That is what you see "on". Tiny Tach sells a good one for $50. I have 2, one for diesel and the regular version.

L

lemen

If it is an LCD display it will stay on.
A LCD only uses current when a crystal is changed by polarity.
And there is so little current needed that they even don't need a battery.
They have enough from the induction from the spark-plug-wire
Look how this one works:
click
I have a lot of these installed on my snowblowers, mowers etc.

T

tomsariens

Very interesting. Thank you.

G

GrumpyCat

If it is an LCD display it will stay on.
A LCD only uses current when a crystal is changed by polarity.
That is not strictly true. The current draw to maintain a segment is very very low, but very very real. You are correct the current is higher to change a segment than to hold it.
And there is so little current needed that they even don't need a battery.
But they do need a battery and when it dies the display blanks.
They have enough from the induction from the spark-plug-wire
Look how this one works:
click
I have a lot of these installed on my snowblowers, mowers etc.
Nope. In a few years when the battery dies in those units the display will blank and you will have to buy new ones.

L

lumberguy66

Most new hour meters are self powered with an internal battery. An easy way to check is take a look at how many wires come off of the back of the meter. If it's a single wire, that is the static wire going to the spark plug and the meter would have an internal battery. if there are multiple wires, it would feed off the mower battery, but usually is connected to the on/off ignition switch.

M

mmoffitt

Nothing should be "on" when it's "off"...definetly see what the manufacturer tech reps say...lot's of wisdom here but I do not believe anyone here designed that unit...unless they did? and if so what is your take on it.
T.Rubble Macher

S

sharnett

I'm assuming that you mean the display is on, not that it is logging time with the engine off. Meters with display always on use an internal battery and do not drain the battery at all. They usually sense ignition pulses to log time, so they aren't even connected to the battery. Even hour meters that do connect to the vehicle battery use a negligible amount of power -- microamps.

The meter battery should last well over 10 years. I have a GDI meter that I've mounted to the top of my truck engine for logging engine hours. It is still working perfectly after 16 years, despite living in the heat of the engine compartment.

Fish

Fish

"Hour Meter is Always On" would be a good title for a book.​

M

MParr

"Hour Meter is Always On" would be a good title for a book.​

Pretty much.

G

GrumpyCat

if there are multiple wires, it would feed off the mower battery, but usually is connected to the on/off ignition switch.
Country Clipper enables the hour meter via the ignition switch but grounds through the oil pressure sensor cutoff on the engine to accurately measure engine run hours. If low oil pressure sensor is not available the hour meter grounds directly and measure hours the ignition switch has been turned on.

The hour meter is powered by a self-contained battery. Hours display continuously mimics the function of a mechanical hour meter. Shouldn't have to turn the vehicle on to see the hours.

M

mcspeed

Right! I’ve already checked.
That’s why Lowe’s sold them.
They could be purchased for under $4,000. Hydro-Gear ZT2800 transaxles.
It’s a residential mower.
It’s like saying that a Toro Timecutter or a Hustler Raptor are commercial mowers.
Just because someone uses a residential mower to make money doesn’t mean the mower is a commercial unit.
Keep trying.
Or, keep trolling.
Seems like the “commercial” term gets thrown around a lot these days. Marketing departments have picked up on this and like to lure in unsuspecting customers. One of my favorites is a steel building advertiser stating “ 26 gage commercial steel.” in their advertising.