Hot start problem on Stiga diesel

Maxrevs

Threads
Hi guys,

I have a 2002 Stiga Park Pro DIESEL powered by Hatz Diesel 1B40W, S/N 1171102 001122.

The engine starts great from cold and runs very well for as long as you want, but will not re-start when the engine is hot. If I let it cool for a while it'll re-start OK and then it carries on running great.

I have no experience with fettling diesels, can anyone suggest what I should be looking for?

Thanks.

Regards,
Chris

Trefor

Forum Newbie
Threads
Gents.

Just found this post, I have the same problem.

Mechanic Mark's link is dead. Does anyone recall what was on page 31?

Thanks

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Confirming that link is DEAD.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Inspect engine air filter & housing for cleaning & replacement of filter. Visually inspect engine cooling areas for being clean & free of dirt & debris. Use air pressure , not water", to remove dirt. It is best to remove Blower Housing to gain access to engine cooling fins. Let us know if this helps, thanks Mark
Engine being 21 yrs. old now probably needs a very thorough inspection & cleaning.

Last edited:

Trefor

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mechanic Marc.

That link is alive thanks.

But I can't see anything on page 31 relating to the "will not re-start when the engine is hot" problem. Am I missing something?

Trefor

Forum Newbie
Threads
Inspect engine air filter & housing for cleaning & replacement of filter. Visually inspect engine cooling areas for being clean & free of dirt & debris. Use air pressure , not water", to remove dirt. It is best to remove Blower Housing to gain access to engine cooling fins. Let us know if this helps, thanks Mark
Engine being 21 yrs. old now probably needs a very thorough inspection & cleaning.
Mark

Thanks for the info. Given it a good clean, but it wasn't very dirty.

However, problem could be fixed, I checked the tappets. Should be set to 0.1mm, they were more like 3mm. Adjusted them and it appears to be OK.

Just need a longer running test.