Honed engine need help

 

Attachments

  • 20220926_103418.jpg
    20220926_103418.jpg
    429.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220926_103427.jpg
    20220926_103427.jpg
    314.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220926_103441.jpg
    20220926_103441.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220926_103506.jpg
    20220926_103506.jpg
    472.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220926_141901.jpg
    20220926_141901.jpg
    544.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220926_141919.jpg
    20220926_141919.jpg
    676.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
if you need bigger rings, you need a bigger piston as well.
do you have the engine model number?
to my eye, the gap between the piston and bore looks too large, for even a .010 piston and rings to fix.
How long did you hone the cylinder?
 
Ok. ENGINE-TECUMSEH, LV195EA-362003B. Had somebody tell me it's tapered too bad to fix. Thinking about looking at a junk yard for another engine. I bought all the parts to fix this one. So if I get one that the cylinder is good I should have a working engine.
 
To me that piston will never work in that cylinder, piston is too small for the cylinder. Second, the honing you did is way too rough, rings won’t last long. If it were me I’d cut my losses and look for a complete new engine.
 
He probably flexed hone it and just made everything worst.
No, that was all from the honing tool with the 3 sandpaper stones. It didn't look like that till yesterday. For some reason as I was honing the tool kept getting tighter in the cylinder, but the gouges were so deep. Got them out, and figured it wouldn't be as bad as it was. Oh well lesson learned.
 
In order properly hone a cylinder you need a ridge hone as any spring loaded hone just make tapering and ovaling worst. You also need mic the cylinder to know the actual diameter and compare this the engine's specs.
 
if you need bigger rings, you need a bigger piston as well.
do you have the engine model number?
to my eye, the gap between the piston and bore looks too large, for even a .010 piston and rings to fix.
How long did you hone the cylinder?
I agree with you. You may be able to bore the cylinder, but it looks like it is too badly worn to be bored.
 
Back
Top