Honda's future in the 21 in. Battery Lawn Mowers

DWSarow

Threads
With all the big names doing battery lawn machines and Honda getting out of the gas powered,they have them in the market in England and Australia, why not in the good old U.S.A?

Bertrrr

Threads
Garbage

Bertrrr

Threads
Battery operated Mowers will never hold up long term, IMOP- This Green Agenda is only lining some politician's pockets , Just my 2 cts

FriedChicken

Forum Newbie
Threads
With all the big names doing battery lawn machines and Honda getting out of the gas powered,they have them in the market in England and Australia, why not in the good old U.S.A?
I would suspect the following reasons:
1. Already small profit margins - Honda apparently doesn't make much on a gasoline powered mower where they have manufacturing facilities on American soil.
2. Cost cutting from other manufacturers - if profit margins are already slim on a HIGH quality product then you can be certain that the competition will win over most consumers because of price. Honda mowers today are already very pricey so if there is an apple to apples product (aka electric to electric) the consumer is LIKELY going to buy something they've seen on the market for a while at a lower price point.
3. Market share - There is no Honda electric mowers in North America now so for them to come to the game this late means they'll have an uphill battle to win over market share in an already saturated market.
4. Shareable platform and complimentary products - Most electric mower companies have complimentary products that work with their battery system. Milwaukee can use the batteries for their power tools, EGO can share between their mower and snowblower. I cannot see Honda changing their entire lineup for the sake of battery support. They may offer SOMETHING but I do not anticipate it being extensive nor cheap like brands from Yardworkds or Ryobi for example that for the most part, do an okay job for what they were designed for.
5. Customer preferences - the USA and north america as a whole, is likely slow to adopt battery powered anything. Cars have been relatively slow to adopt and the mindset that gasoline is better is still very strong.
6. Beliefs that long term, gasoline is more viable. I am a firm believer that batteries and their limited lifespan IS legitimately a problem we have yet to truly overcome so I'm sticking with gasoline as its been the mainstay and likely will be for a long time.

HurstGN

Threads
5. Customer preferences - the USA and North America as a whole, is likely slow to adopt battery powered anything. Cars have been relatively slow to adopt and the mindset that gasoline is better is still very strong.
Lawnmowers and cars are apples and oranges. If an electric car would be able to travel long distances in a day, were economical and had the infrastructure to support them, then folks may more readily consider them. Now a lawnmower, not as bad, but there are considerations still. Electric mowers are still very costly and most people aren't that keen on ditching a perfectly good mower to buy another that costs far more. And in this economy, that's a huge ask while people are struggling just to keep their head above water.
As far as gasoline is better, well, look at that car travelling from New York to Chicago. A 12:30 trip of about 800 miles is doable in a day. While you can adopt a different mindset, the reality is that an electric car makes this trip a PITA or even impossible with at least 2 stops to recharge (@ 1-10 hours based on charger type and battery condition) making this trip at best 14:30 and an overnight stay at worst. Unless somehow in the electric world the laws of physics no longer apply. Not to mention an even longer trip. I know folks that own property in NY and FL and drive to vacation in FL. The longer the trip the worse the experience. Don't forget, that the electric infrastructure simply will not support all electric vehicles. The current infrastructure is in need of upgrades and that is for everyday life currently. It can't handle plugging in every device to go electric. A mindset of gasoline is better prevents the total collapse of the electric grid and the standard of life we currently enjoy while the brighter minds overcome the range/capacity limitations and develop the infrastructure to handle those changes.