Honda Lawn Mower HRR2169VYA Issue

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Absolutely no water as bertsmobile1 said. Your Operators Manual does not say to wash mower with water. Over time water will destroy mechanical & electrical parts on any mower. I use a handheld leaf blower on my lawn tractor. I have a 1990 Honda HR215SXA self propelled mower that I purchased new & still runs strong. If you're not satisfied with Honda, sell yours & purchase a Toro, Snapper, etc. after researching & trying them out, just don't use water. Let us know what you decide to go with, thanks,Mark

Briantii

Threads
For clarity, I never had any issues pulling the mower backwards. After making 4 -6 laps around my 80 x 110 yard, either the left or right wheel would stop turning while pushing the mower forward. When I removed the wheel, all of the components between the wheel and cover would be off the axle entirely and either be "jammed" into the plastic "fins"inside the wheel or lose.
Also, I never, ever, reuse circlips. I always replace them with new ones.

Bizarre- I’ve never seen that and lord knows my mower has seen some serious hills and stress put on it. I have to wear baseball cleats to mow my yard. I really think something was off in the machining of your deck or something crazy like that. It’s a shame Honda didn’t step up and just replace the unit.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Push it to the curb. There are better mowers out there.

slomo

pete651

Forum Newbie
Threads
Absolutely no water as bertsmobile1 said. Your Operators Manual does not say to wash mower with water. Over time water will destroy mechanical & electrical parts on any mower. I use a handheld leaf blower on my lawn tractor. I have a 1990 Honda HR215SXA self propelled mower that I purchased new & still runs strong. If you're not satisfied with Honda, sell yours & purchase a Toro, Snapper, etc. after researching & trying them out, just don't use water. Let us know what you decide to go with, thanks,Mark
I gave the lawn mower that I used before I purchased this Honda to my son. That mower, a Lawn Chief if I remember correctly, was purchased new by me in 1981, always gets washed after each mowing, and is still running and operating great to this day (39 years!). Unless we are relegated to mowing on only 100% moisture free lawns and days, a mower better be built to withstand moisture and water. If not, it only offers evidence of poor quality, craftsmanship and materials.
I will be taking your suggestion to research and purchase another brand then toss this Honda in the metal scrap heap.

pete651

Forum Newbie
Threads
Push it to the curb. There are better mowers out there.

slomo
I wouldn't wish this Honda heap on anyone, not even my worst enemy. It's going straight to the scrap heap.

pete651

Forum Newbie
Threads
Bizarre- I’ve never seen that and lord knows my mower has seen some serious hills and stress put on it. I have to wear baseball cleats to mow my yard. I really think something was off in the machining of your deck or something crazy like that. It’s a shame Honda didn’t step up and just replace the unit.
Baseball cleats ... great idea. I have one spot in my yard with a fairly steep grade

cruzenmike

Threads
As a few people have mentioned, the design of the shaft, bushing and gear system for the self propelled system on the later model Honda mowers is not great but it doesn't mean that it is bad either. There may have definitely been something defective with your mower from the get-go, and if nothing can be done to permanently fix the issue, then it is time to move on. As with all consumer products, your experience speaks for you only. Others may have similar experiences, but in this case there are likely many more that their's is nothing like yours. Despite your unfortunate luck with the HRR, Honda does make a good product. Reading the horror story that you have so nicely illustrated, I would still buy another Honda mower. Why? Because nearly 15 years of owning Honda mowers and have never had a problem.

Go out an buy a new Toro Super Recycler WITH the Honda engine. Your experience with Honda and their "poor engineering" has to do with their drive train, and not so much their engines. The GCV160 is plenty powerful, quiet and fuel efficient. Plenty of options out there my friend but this alternative would be a good one.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
As a few people have mentioned, the design of the shaft, bushing and gear system for the self propelled system on the later model Honda mowers is not great but it doesn't mean that it is bad either. There may have definitely been something defective with your mower from the get-go, and if nothing can be done to permanently fix the issue, then it is time to move on. As with all consumer products, your experience speaks for you only. Others may have similar experiences, but in this case there are likely many more that their's is nothing like yours. Despite your unfortunate luck with the HRR, Honda does make a good product. Reading the horror story that you have so nicely illustrated, I would still buy another Honda mower. Why? Because nearly 15 years of owning Honda mowers and have never had a problem.

Go out an buy a new Toro Super Recycler WITH the Honda engine. Your experience with Honda and their "poor engineering" has to do with their drive train, and not so much their engines. The GCV160 is plenty powerful, quiet and fuel efficient. Plenty of options out there my friend but this alternative would be a good one.
Trouble is the GCV160 is not powerful. I just mowed with a Snapper Commercial GXV160 that bogged in my yard. Also installed a brand new Oregon 99-121 blade. I would look for a 190cc Briggs. Those Briggs Professional 8.50 and 8.75 torque monsters is what I would look for. Course your grass might not be Tifway Bermuda like mine. This is by far the densest grass out there. It's super fine bladed Bermuda. People think St. Augustine is tough to cut. My cousin in Florida has it. Stuff cuts like butter. You might get away with a GCV160 in your yard. Honda makes a 200+cc engine now. It's close to a Briggs 190cc in torque. Try that one.

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I wouldn't wish this Honda heap on anyone, not even my worst enemy. It's going straight to the scrap heap.
I have a love list of my personal dislikes about Honda mowers. I've owned many (then sold) Honda's and used many.
1.They do NOT bag like a Snapper.
2.They don't mulch like a Snapper or Toro Super Recycler.
3.Mower price is generally higher than most.
4.The dumping grass at your feet and legs when discharging is a "wonderful" idea (sarcasm).
5.Replacement parts are pretty stiff.
6.All the many levers you have to hold while mowing. It's a mower not a Cessna aircraft.
7.That shaft drive and that Hydro transmission is ultra expensive to repair. Ask my neighbor. Price some of those parts out for yourself.
8.Well know can't back up issues on every mower forum.
9.Having to use what I call a "power strap" in tall grass. That is a bungee cord connected to the handlebar on one end and the other directly to the throttle. Engage the blade and tighten the bungee.

I will say they make good engines. Not class leading in torque but will last a good bit. For me, Honda's just don't perform. Lots of people have good luck with them.

slomo

cruzenmike

Threads
I have a love list of my personal dislikes about Honda mowers. I've owned many (then sold) Honda's and used many.
1.They do NOT bag like a Snapper.
2.They don't mulch like a Snapper or Toro Super Recycler.
3.Mower price is generally higher than most.
4.The dumping grass at your feet and legs when discharging is a "wonderful" idea (sarcasm).
5.Replacement parts are pretty stiff.
6.All the many levers you have to hold while mowing. It's a mower not a Cessna aircraft.
7.That shaft drive and that Hydro transmission is ultra expensive to repair. Ask my neighbor. Price some of those parts out for yourself.
8.Well know can't back up issues on every mower forum.
9.Having to use what I call a "power strap" in tall grass. That is a bungee cord connected to the handlebar on one end and the other directly to the throttle. Engage the blade and tighten the bungee.

I will say they make good engines. Not class leading in torque but will last a good bit. For me, Honda's just don't perform. Lots of people have good luck with them.

slomo

I am sure that many can appreciate you sharing your personal experience with Honda mowers but it is just your experience. Yes there will be owners with similar complaints but let's be honest here, MOST people have unrealistic expectations of their tools. I owned a K2 HRX for 7 years, put hundreds of hours on it, with NOT ONE SINGLE PROBLEM. No issues with pulling it back, no complaints regarding bagging, always started on the first pull, only had one lever to hold while I mowed and best of all, after those 7 years of use I was still able to sell it for 50% of what I paid for it new. I agree that rear discharge for a walk behind mower is a bit silly, but with a Nexite deck it is the safest option considering a cutout on the side of the deck would ultimately compromise the integrity of the deck. I happen to own a newer HRS (steel deck, side discharge) that can cut through 2 inches of thick, lush KBG and PRG without missing a single blade of grass. The problem with your post is that you assume that everyone that owns a lawn mower is going to try and run full speed through knee high grass and expect that the mower doesn't miss a beat and lasts 20 years without a problem. The plain and simple fact is that these machines are not perfect, nor are they made to last forever. Cost has unfortunately won over quality in today's market. While I have never owned a Snapper, I know a few people who do and just loved them. There is another problem here; the Snapper of today is not the Snapper of 10-15 years ago.