Honda HRX2176HYA Hard to Start

JBtoro

Threads
Just an update on the Honda HRX2176HYA. I started taking the carb off of the mower this afternoon to start making the auto choke to manual choke conversion that JBtoro posted about. When I got the carb off I noticed that the choke butterfly didn't fill the throat up. I had an older carb that I had taken off an old mower that had a manual choke and when I looked at the butterfly in it I noticed that it was a bit bigger than the new one. I pulled the butterfly out of both carbs and replaced the butterfly in the new carb with the older butterfly. After putting it back together and adding a little bit of gas to the tank (I had already winterized it by burning all the fuel out of it) I pulled it and lo and behold it started on the first pull. It had been about 3 weeks since it had been started and as I said I had winterized it then. I am attaching a photo of the two butterflies. As you can see the butterfly on the left is a little larger and it is from the older honda carb that I had laying around that had a manual choke. You wouldn't think that that little bit of size would make that much difference but I think it definitely fixed my problem. So anyone that is having a problem with one of the auto choke honda's starting when it is cold you might try this fix. If you don't have an old carb setting around I'm sure if you know anyone that fixes honda mowers they will have an old one lying around that you can steal a butterfly from. Thanks to everyone that offered suggestions on how to remedy my situation.
Yeah, I've wondered about those "partial" looking butterfly's too. But in most cases, they seem to do the job even though they don't choke off the intake completely. I bet BertsMobile1 knows why Honda chose this bit of engineering. Anyway, I don't see where changing to a larger butterfly can hurt & in your case it helped.