Honda HRX217 running rough

bobbysr

Threads
My 2011 Honda 217 is running rough. When I first start it , it spits out a puff of black smoke. I pulled the spark plug and it was black. I replaced the plug, but it still surges. Any ideas?

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
My 2011 Honda 217 is running rough. When I first start it , it spits out a puff of black smoke. I pulled the spark plug and it was black. I replaced the plug, but it still surges. Any ideas?

Black smoke, rough running and a black/sooty/fouled spark plug are generally symptoms of a rich (too much fuel or not enough air) condition.

1. Check the air filter. Replace it or clean it with compressed air.

2. Does your HRX have an automatic or manual choke? If the choke remains CLOSED after the engine has started, this will create a rich condition. Double-check and make sure the choke is working properly.

3. How old is the fuel? If more than 30 days old, drain tank and carb bowl, fill with fresh fuel.

NJsnapper

Threads
Mine started doing the same thing as well as surging as i engaged the drive to move. Was about to buy a new carb.. Looked at the air filter and saw the foam prefilter was clogged up with dust and junk. Cleaned it and now smooth as silk.

javjacob

Threads
I would also clean the carb with carb cleaner spray. If it will run you can spray little spurts at a time down the intake. It will act like its going to stall so go easy. Its easy to do. I also recommend seafoam fuel additive for the fuel, that stuff works great. Gas anymore doesn't last long since they started adding 10% ethanol :thumbdown: