Honda HRX217 Broken roto cable. 200 engine

polocash

Threads
I have had 2 previous Hondas and never broke a cable.
3rd is a HRX217 200 engine. I replaced $10 wax choke and cleaned the carb white at it. Carb was ok but now like new. Starts 1-2 pulls.

Mowed the entire lawn with no issue and stored it away. Went to clean the leaves and the blade would not engage. The cable pulled out about 5" in plastic housing at the handle end and was snapped in 2. I ordered a new one and waiting. Just over a 3-year-old model, is this the new norm? I even alternate with an EGO and with no rain, little summer use.

Any secrets on installation? Does it need a shot of WD40 once in a while? Someone said the spring is too thick at the connection, at the end of the cable near the blade, and I should change to a thinner spring.

Last edited:

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Locate your Honda model & serial #'s above for OEM Parts. No need to replace spring underneath deck nor lube new cable. Cable adjustments should be in your owner/operators manual, BBC & Roto Stop cables should have free play before engaging.

polocash

Threads
Thanks,
I got the part. Now I have to figure out how to get to the end by blade. I tried to remove the blade and the nuts will not budge. Also, have to remove the shroud? I can not find a YouTube video of my lawnmower being fixed.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Watch youtube above & see if it helps.

polocash

Threads
Last edited: