honda hru 197 will not fire?

simjess

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, new to the forum. was hoping someone could assist with a problem with my mower.

I have a honda hru 197 buffalo bull with a GC160 engine. i have replaced the magneto, carburettor, spark plug, oil, etc. I have plenty of spark. Compression is at 60PSI. Don't seem to have a low oil switch on this one.

I am baffled with this one? is compression too low to start this mower?

I refurbish small engines but can't solve this one?

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi, new to the forum. was hoping someone could assist with a problem with my mower.

I have a honda hru 197 buffalo bull with a GC160 engine. i have replaced the magneto, carburettor, spark plug, oil, etc. I have plenty of spark. Compression is at 60PSI. Don't seem to have a low oil switch on this one.

I am baffled with this one? is compression too low to start this mower?

I refurbish small engines but can't solve this one?

With good spark but no start likely indicates an issue with fuel/air delivery.
1. Make sure the choke plate is fully closed when the choke is ON, and confirm the plate is fully open when the choke is OFF
2. When installing a carburetor, it is easy to get a gasket, spacer or insulator on backwards or upside down. This can block off the venting, and may also restrict fuel/air flow too.
3. Be sure all the rods, links, springs, etc. are in the correct holes. Many of the pivots and moving parts of the engine have multiple holes for governor springs, etc. and they can be installed incorrectly.

Here's a general illustration of the GCV160 carburetor and parts:

gcv160carbrampr_zpsfa7eb4be.jpg