Walk behind Honda HRR216VYA Smart Drive Issue

Robbie61

Forum Newbie
Threads
I purchased a new Honda VYA October 2013. I have used it for 26 mowings, one hour per mow. Today, August 2nd, 2014 the Smart Drive failed. It wouldn't propel the mower, and the wheels are locked up in reverse. After reading many posts on this issue, it appears it is a frequently occurring issue. Looking back, it was making a squeaking sound when the drive was initiated. A few times, it wouldn't drive the mower, but then it corrected itself. I tried adjusting the cable, but that did nothing. Then I checked the cable activated "control arm" on the drive box, and it was moving as it should. I'll bet I have a stripped gear in the tranny box. Since it's still on warranty, I'll take it back to the authorized dealer I purchased it from. I just want to alert other owners about this issue. Any recalls anyone knows about? The mower does a real nice job of mulching! I liked it until this happened.
Model: HRR216VYA
S/N: MZCG-8631873

I wish I had my old John Deere SB (silver deck) back. 18 years of near trouble free use. I went through two handles and ended up with drive wheel ratchet issues. It was the handle that killed it though.

Last edited:

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I purchased a new Honda VYA October 2013. I have used it for 26 mowings, one hour per mow. Today, August 2nd, 2014 the Smart Drive failed. It wouldn't propel the mower, and the wheels are locked up in reverse. After reading many posts on this issue, it appears it is a frequently occurring issue. Looking back, it was making a squeaking sound when the drive was initiated. A few times, it wouldn't drive the mower, but then it corrected itself. I tried adjusting the cable, but that did nothing. Then I checked the cable activated "control arm" on the drive box, and it was moving as it should. I'll bet I have a stripped gear in the tranny box. Since it's still on warranty, I'll take it back to the authorized dealer I purchased it from.

Robert, yes, that serial number shows the mower is still under warranty for sure (expires 10/29/2015) and you are correct to get it back to the dealer for inspection and repair. Defective parts are usually replaced at no cost under the warranty terms. If for whatever reason, here are other Honda dealers close to your ZIP code:

Exit 18 Equipment
27 Morse Rd # Exit
Fairfax, VT 05454-4407
(802) 524-2974

Mountain View Equipment, LLC.
8092 State Route 9
Plattsburgh, NY 12901-5364
(518) 561-3682

Dame Rental & Sales Center
755 State Route 3
Plattsburgh, NY 12901-7488
(518) 561-8880

Harvest Equipment
64 Harvest Ln # 10
Williston, VT 05495-8928
(802) 288-1160

Robbie61

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks! I'll let everyone know what they find. It may take a few days. They are busy.
I forgot to mention, the service tech at Mountain View Equipment said this was a new one for him!

Robbie61

Forum Newbie
Threads
Robert, yes, that serial number shows the mower is still under warranty for sure (expires 10/29/2015) and you are correct to get it back to the dealer for inspection and repair. Defective parts are usually replaced at no cost under the warranty terms. If for whatever reason, here are other Honda dealers close to your ZIP code:

Exit 18 Equipment
27 Morse Rd # Exit
Fairfax, VT 05454-4407
(802) 524-2974

Mountain View Equipment, LLC.
8092 State Route 9
Plattsburgh, NY 12901-5364
(518) 561-3682

Dame Rental & Sales Center
755 State Route 3
Plattsburgh, NY 12901-7488
(518) 561-8880

Harvest Equipment
64 Harvest Ln # 10
Williston, VT 05495-8928
(802) 288-1160

Well, I got the mower back on Friday, 22 August. It took 2 weeks and 5 days, because the part was on back order. They had to replace the transmission. There was a broken gear and a jam in the gearbox. Mountain View Equipment stated they had no idea how that happened. The repair was free of charge, and they even sharpened the blades. My only complaint was it took so long. I borrowed a friend's older Honda mower with the old drive, which I liked better. Anyway, I mowed the lawn today and everything worked fine. I wonder how long this replacement transmission is under warranty.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well, I got the mower back on Friday, 22 August. It took 2 weeks and 5 days, because the part was on back order.

During the spring and early summer, most small gas engine / mower repair shops are swamped with work. 2-3 weeks wait on a repair is about par for the course (unfortunately). This is true of all types of small gas engine shops, not necessarily any brand.

I wonder how long this replacement transmission is under warranty.
When Honda replaces a part on a mower under warranty, that part, along with all the other parts on the mower, is covered under the original factory warranty. So, if you had two years warranty left on the mower, the replacement transmission (when installed by the dealer) would also have two years of warranty.

FYI, if you were to go to a Honda dealer and buy a new transmission, such cash & carry parts have a six-month warranty.

Full warranty details here at Honda's website: Honda Power Equipment Warranty

Robbie61

Forum Newbie
Threads
During the spring and early summer, most small gas engine / mower repair shops are swamped with work. 2-3 weeks wait on a repair is about par for the course (unfortunately). This is true of all types of small gas engine shops, not necessarily any brand.

When Honda replaces a part on a mower under warranty, that part, along with all the other parts on the mower, is covered under the original factory warranty. So, if you had two years warranty left on the mower, the replacement transmission (when installed by the dealer) would also have two years of warranty.

FYI, if you were to go to a Honda dealer and buy a new transmission, such cash & carry parts have a six-month warranty.

Full warranty details here at Honda's website: Honda Power Equipment Warranty

Thanks, Robert. All's well after the second mowing too.