Honda HRR2168VKA manual needed/mower will not start

kate maine

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi. I am new to this forum. I have an HRR2168VKA mower. It ran fine last year but will now not start. I can not find my owners manual to try to figure things out. I am also new to dealing with small engine stuff and need some advice on where to get a new manul and/or what might be wrong with the darn mower.

Thanks,
Kate

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thank you for your reply. Will the manul for the HRR216VKA work for the HRR2168VKA? Where on the mower might I find the serial number?

Kate, the serial number is on a sticker on the rear of the mower deck; looks like this:

lmserialnumber_zps63822669.jpg

Honda recently issued a Service Bulletin that may help; the issue is on some mowers, including the HRR2168VKA, the automatic choke (crucial to start the engine) may be binding up, making starting nearly impossible. Honda has improved the design of the choke and your mower may benefit from this new part. If a Honda dealer confirms this is the problem, and your mower is less than 3 years old, it will likely be covered under warranty. I can confirm how much warranty you have left if you'll share that serial number with me.

When taking your mower in for service, be sure to clearly communicate with the service manager if/when you will approve for any work to be done ahead of time, just in case the problem is NOT covered under warranty (for example, stale gasoline in the fuel tank)

Here's the link to find a Honda dealer in your area that can offer service; just select Lawn Mowers, check off Service and enter your ZIP code for a list:

Find A Honda Dealer

kate maine

Forum Newbie
Threads
Kate, the serial number is on a sticker on the rear of the mower deck; looks like this:

lmserialnumber_zps63822669.jpg

Honda recently issued a Service Bulletin that may help; the issue is on some mowers, including the HRR2168VKA, the automatic choke (crucial to start the engine) may be binding up, making starting nearly impossible. Honda has improved the design of the choke and your mower may benefit from this new part. If a Honda dealer confirms this is the problem, and your mower is less than 3 years old, it will likely be covered under warranty. I can confirm how much warranty you have left if you'll share that serial number with me.

When taking your mower in for service, be sure to clearly communicate with the service manager if/when you will approve for any work to be done ahead of time, just in case the problem is NOT covered under warranty (for example, stale gasoline in the fuel tank)

Here's the link to find a Honda dealer in your area that can offer service; just select Lawn Mowers, check off Service and enter your ZIP code for a list:

Find A Honda Dealer

OH my goodness! Thank you, Robert for your help; with your help I have found the service manual!

The serial number is: MZCG-8583097

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
OH my goodness! Thank you, Robert for your help; with your help I have found the service manual!

The serial number is: MZCG-8583097

Okay, your mower IS in the affected range of units that may benefit from the improved autochoke control assembly. Records at Honda indicate it was purchased at Home Depot, but never registered, so the official start date of the 36 month warranty is 7/30/2012.

Here's what to do:

1. Contact your nearest Honda dealer, and tell them you have a mower that is part of Service Bulletin #100, and would like to have it inspected and checked for the starting problem.
2. Some dealers may charge a fee to troubleshoot a mower, but will not bill you for it if the problem is verified to be a factory defect and payable under warranty. Double-check your dealer's policy BEFORE you take the mower in, and be sure to let them know to get your authorization before performing any repairs.
3. Please understand this time of year is the most busy season for mower repairs, so keep that in mind.
4. If you have the mower repaired at Honda dealer, please ask them to register the mower so Honda can contact you in the unlikely event of any recalls or updates in the future.

kate maine

Forum Newbie
Threads
Okay, your mower IS in the affected range of units that may benefit from the improved autochoke control assembly. Records at Honda indicate it was purchased at Home Depot, but never registered, so the official start date of the 36 month warranty is 7/30/2012.

Here's what to do:

1. Contact your nearest Honda dealer, and tell them you have a mower that is part of Service Bulletin #100, and would like to have it inspected and checked for the starting problem.
2. Some dealers may charge a fee to troubleshoot a mower, but will not bill you for it if the problem is verified to be a factory defect and payable under warranty. Double-check your dealer's policy BEFORE you take the mower in, and be sure to let them know to get your authorization before performing any repairs.
3. Please understand this time of year is the most busy season for mower repairs, so keep that in mind.
4. If you have the mower repaired at Honda dealer, please ask them to register the mower so Honda can contact you in the unlikely event of any recalls or updates in the future.

Wow, that's a lot of info, Robert. Thank you for giving so much time to my issue.

Question. Are you saying that Honda is replacing all of the autochoke assemblies for free if I take my mower to them? Or, are you saying, if I ask them to look at the autochoke assembly and they say mine is fine....then I will be charged simply because they spent time looking at it?

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Question. Are you saying that Honda is replacing all of the autochoke assemblies for free if I take my mower to them?
No. Honda is replacing the autochoke on the affected range of mowers that exhibit the problems described in the bulletin and are still under warranty. Not all mowers in the affected range will require a new autochoke.

...if I ask them to look at the autochoke assembly and they say mine is fine....then I will be charged simply because they spent time looking at it?

All Honda dealers are all independent businesses and set their own policies. I know some dealers charge a troubleshooting fee up front. If the only work they do is covered under Honda's warranty, there should be no charge to you at all. It is best to ask in advance, before taking the mower to their shop. While I suspect the problem may be related to the autochoke, it could of course be something else, and if the problem is determined to be a factory defect, repairs are normally covered by Honda.

If the problem is determined not to be a factory defect then you may be charged a troubleshooting and/or repair fees. Again, discuss with the dealer up front.

Rouillier

Threads
I have a Honda HRX2173HYA serial number MAGA 2055007 do you know if it was part of the auto choke service recall. It starts but it runs very rough.

kate maine

Forum Newbie
Threads
No. Honda is replacing the autochoke on the affected range of mowers that exhibit the problems described in the bulletin and are still under warranty. Not all mowers in the affected range will require a new autochoke.

All Honda dealers are all independent businesses and set their own policies. I know some dealers charge a troubleshooting fee up front. If the only work they do is covered under Honda's warranty, there should be no charge to you at all. It is best to ask in advance, before taking the mower to their shop. While I suspect the problem may be related to the autochoke, it could of course be something else, and if the problem is determined to be a factory defect, repairs are normally covered by Honda.

If the problem is determined not to be a factory defect then you may be charged a troubleshooting and/or repair fees. Again, discuss with the dealer up front.

Thanks for the clarificaiton, Robert. I have been looking at video on how to change spark plug, air filter, and clean the carborater. I will do these first. If they are all set, and it still does not start, I would think the autochock thing might be what is wrong, don't you? What else do you suggest I clean, replace, etc?