Honda HRR2163TDA Mower; still great after all these years...

gbkd80

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Honda HRR2163TDA Mower; still great after all these years...
New here, just thought I'd collect some opinions on the Honda HRR2163TDA or equivalent mowers. I've had one since late 2003 and it's always started on the first pull. All around great mower. I recently changed the blades after (gulp..) never changing them in it's life. When I say they didn't even resemble lawnmower blades anymore.. well, you get the idea.

I can't seem to find much data on this specific model, and I'm not sure if the other 216 models are pretty much the same? The only issue I have with it is the front wheels are crooked, ie: bending outward slightly. The left front wheel needs to be replaced because it fell off and I ran over it last season. I put it back on and it's just missing some tread but still functions. Wouldn't mind a new set of wheels for the mower anyway... maybe next would be to get the belt replaced, but honestly I'm not having any issues with the drive so maybe it's more a preventative maintenance task if anything? Still working off the original spark plug too. Really has been a great mower for all the years I've owned it. In fact, the dealer I bought it from back in 2003 has since gone out of business... that's reality for ya. Now I see Home Depot selling these...

Threads
New here, just thought I'd collect some opinions on the Honda HRR2163TDA or equivalent mowers. I've had one since late 2003 and it's always started on the first pull. All around great mower. I recently changed the blades after (gulp..) never changing them in it's life. When I say they didn't even resemble lawnmower blades anymore.. well, you get the idea.

I can't seem to find much data on this specific model, and I'm not sure if the other 216 models are pretty much the same? The only issue I have with it is the front wheels are crooked, ie: bending outward slightly. The left front wheel needs to be replaced because it fell off and I ran over it last season. I put it back on and it's just missing some tread but still functions. Wouldn't mind a new set of wheels for the mower anyway... maybe next would be to get the belt replaced, but honestly I'm not having any issues with the drive so maybe it's more a preventative maintenance task if anything? Still working off the original spark plug too. Really has been a great mower for all the years I've owned it. In fact, the dealer I bought it from back in 2003 has since gone out of business... that's reality for ya. Now I see Home Depot selling these...

Welcome to the forum! I also have an HRR216TDA. I bought mine in 2006. Now I have 2 other Honda mowers I use commercially (both HRX217HYA's), but the HRR still gets used for my own lawn. Mine has been reliable as well. I replaced the wheels last year, because they had gotten so bad they had holes in them. Just like you, the front wheels are bowing out. Hey, I guess that's what happens after 10 years of use. Here are some photos of mine (along with my 2 HRX's), as well as a photo of the tires I took off of the HRR vs. the new tires.

3 mowers.PNG tires.jpg

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
New here, just thought I'd collect some opinions on the Honda HRR2163TDA or equivalent mowers. I've had one since late 2003 and it's always started on the first pull. All around great mower.

A few resources:

Get the serial number off the back of the mower deck; this is the "master key" to getting parts, tech info, service materials, etc.

lmserialnumber_zps63822669.jpg

Shop Manuals; available in paper format only, direct from Honda via eBay or Amazon (free shipping).:
Honda Power Equipment Shop Manuals on eBay
Honda Power Equipment Shop Manuals on Amazon

Digital Owners Manuals (free):
Honda Lawn Mower Owner's Manuals

Official Honda Parts Look-Up Page:
Honda Power Equipment, Engines and Marine Factory Parts Lookup
Tip: Google any part number to find a Honda Dealer selling it online

Honda Dealer Locater:
Find A Honda Dealer

Avoid the #1 Mower Service Problem:
Avoiding Fuel-Related Problems

FAQs:
Honda FrequentlyAskedQuestions

Contact Honda Customer Relations:
Contact Honda Customer Relations

Drop me a PM with your mailing address and I'll send you some "I My Honda" stickers.

gbkd80

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just like you, the front wheels are bowing out. Hey, I guess that's what happens after 10 years of use.

I wonder if that is a condition of the body itself flexing or bending near the wheels on either side... I probably should get some new wheels too; the one I ran over looks similar to what you posted. I don't know if the bow is affecting the cut but it doesn't seem to be...

A few resources:

Get the serial number off the back of the mower deck; this is the "master key" to getting parts, tech info, service materials, etc.

Thanks :) I have the model/serial number; I'll start gathering up my info for replacement stuff. Like I said, this thing has fired up on the first pull for 12 years unless it was just washed or ran out of gas. I'm sure it's due for some gas/carb maintenance but you'd never know it...

javjacob

Threads
My 1996 Honda Harmony HRM215 is still going strong. :thumbsup: