Honda hr214 runs away every time it’s started

Lawnnut

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all!
I have a honda hr214 lawn mower. Since i have aquired its always ran away during startup. It’s to the point where i have to hold thr governor linkage to the carb and hold it manually to keep the rpms down for a while till i can let go and it keeps is low idle. In the past i have had a few times where its run away for 5 second. Ive gone thru the linkage and made sure everything it adjusted correctly as much as i know. I feel like rhe governor assembly inside the engine is bad because every time i start the mower the governor rod seems tight or stuck and I need to free it. Also it smokes on start up for a second or 2 which is a new thing. When the throttle lever is pushed form low to high the valve doesn’t move. What gives. Do you think it would need new rings and piston. I can try to upload a video to YouTube and add a link

What should I do. This mower has sedimental value to me and I want to keep it running.

volvofan94

Threads
I had a similar problem on my HR215. I replaced the governor assembly inside the engine with a known good unit then replaced the governor control rod seals and the control rod itself while the engine was apart. You may not need to replace the seals and control rod, but I did because the engine case was already opened, and those parts were cheap. Reassembled the engine and now the governor adjusts engine speed like it should.

If the mower is smoking on startup, it may be running a bit rich, which could point to the governor problem you're seeing. I'd open the engine case then check or replace the governor assembly as needed then go from there. The governor assembly is in the oil pan (bottom half) of the case. A compression check would tell you if the rings or piston are having problems.

tadawson

Threads
That would be a GX120, same basic engine as on the HR215, the GX140. Gov is easy to get out, but you do need to open the engine, if that is the case. Based on age, the seal may have just turned to goo, hanging up the rod. Good news is the sealmis on the outside . . . had mine down for rebuild when I did mine, but you might be able to get to the seal from the outside. If the gov needs replacing, seal and gov for certain, but unless you see wear, replacing the rod serves no purpose. When I rebuilt mine, bore and piston were fine - Honda oil rings are soft, and those were shot, so did a light hone and rings, and perfect for 6 years since, and 1 pull starts.

Craftsman Garage

Threads
Ok, it the gov is adjusted, that's a bad internal governor. Also, what color is the smoke? Blue is burning oil, black means it's running rich and the carb probably needs to be cleaned and adjusted.

Craftsman Garage

Threads
BUT it is normal, some engines smoke on startup naturally or due to age, etc. All of my riding mowers smoke on startup, but there's nothing wrong with them 🤷🏼‍♂️