Honda GXV530 no spark.

Del@Midwest

Forum Newbie
Threads
Honda GXV530 with no spark. Tried new plugs, Gapped plugs, Removed stop wires from coils. Ran grounding jumper from grounding electrode on plugs directly to battery ground - no spark. Only way to see spark is to hold center electrode of plug nearly against a grounded bolt on the engine. Hard to imagine that both coils would be bad at the same time.

skippymud

Threads
Hi Del. You should be touching the spark plug's electrode to the engine block or something grounded to see spark. That's the way to check spark. I think you do you fire
Honda GXV530 with no spark. Tried new plugs, Gapped plugs, Removed stop wires from coils. Ran grounding jumper from grounding electrode on plugs directly to battery ground - no spark. Only way to see spark is to hold center electrode of plug nearly against a grounded bolt on the engine. Hard to imagine that both coils would be bad at the same time.

Del@Midwest

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Del. You should be touching the spark plug's electrode to the engine block or something grounded to see spark. That's the way to check spark. I think you do you fire
I am, the grounding electrode. The center electrode should spark to the grounding electrode of the plug with the grounding electrode grounded and it does not, no matter the gap.

Del@Midwest

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am, the grounding electrode. The center electrode should spark to the grounding electrode of the plug with the grounding electrode grounded and it does not. I can stick a screwdriver in the boot of the coil and have to essentially touch ground with the shank of the screwdriver to see any spark. I think both coils are very weak. I've seen a lot hotter spark that what we're getting on other coils.

skippymud

Threads
I am, the grounding electrode. The center electrode should spark to the grounding electrode of the plug with the grounding electrode grounded and it does not, no matter the gap.
Yea, sorry. I think I misunderstood the full context of your initial posting. So see pic. You're doing this, right? Just making sure b/c I don't want to misunderstand yet again LOL

Attachments

• PXL_20240611_190724173.jpg
    PXL_20240611_190724173.jpg
    713 KB · Views: 5

Del@Midwest

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes, that is correct. I also tried running an alligator clip jumper from the grounding electrode directly to the battery to no avail. Should serve the same purpose. Narrowed gap to .013 and won't spark. Didn't try any less.

skippymud

Threads
Hey Del

I am going through the very same problem by the way. I think that is why I am truly interested in yours

2-cycle Echo PB-403T backpack blower
OEM coil - no spark
Aftermark coil - no spark

Is this even possible. I've ordered another coil from a different MFR. We will see

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Hey Del

I am going through the very same problem by the way. I think that is why I am truly interested in yours

2-cycle Echo PB-403T backpack blower
OEM coil - no spark
Aftermark coil - no spark

Is this even possible. I've ordered another coil from a different MFR. We will see
Faulty ignition or on/off switch will cause no spark sometimes. Check for continuity and function.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Is this a sudden problem or are you trying to restore an old engine ?
Failure of both coils usually indicates a bad magnet in the flywheel or the flywheel just not spinning fast enough