Honda GX25 - Is the engine damaged ?

Buffy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi

as an old motor technician , I have just been presented with my Dads little used Mantis rotavator with a Honda GX25 engine.

I believe that it was overfilled with oil , but I cant be too sure.
When I looked at the machine , there was oil everywhere.
The fuel was cloudy with what I assume is oil , so I flushed and replaced with new.
I sampled the fuel in the oil can that was used for the fill before I started - it was clear and fresh.
The foam air cleaner was literally swimming in oil .I could wring it out in my hand
I cleaned and dried this item , along with the housing.
I removed and cleaned the spark plug , and checked the gap.
I drained and filled the oil to the correct level - all per the supplied manual.

So , the engine will only start on choke , even though I managed to get a little warmth into the engine.
I then removed the air filter and it was swimming in oil yet again after about 1 min of intermittent running.
Touch the throttle and it dies.
The exhaust is smoking quite badly.
The engine will only idle for about 15 seconds after each start

I am suspecting internal engine damage unless there is something that my basics has missed , because of the oil being emitted in volume from the carb and the oil might be creating enough of a seal to allow some form of compression at point of starting.

Can you help please.

Many thanks

Steve

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Remove the air filter till you get it running proper. Let it get all that oil out. Spray some flamable juice in the carb to assist starting. Clean the plug after or replace.

slomo

Buffy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you - advice taken and time for an update.

spark plug cleaned again and gap checked.
Air cleaner removed.
Start engine on choke but would die immediately some easy start was offered to the carb.

I allowed the engine to warm thoroughly as I could not take any choke off for about 5 mins.

its now idling with no choke , but the moment the throttle is touched , the engine dies and spits through the carb.

No blue smoke so I dont think there is too much to worry out internally , but the spit back I cant fix.
If it were a car , I would check the timing

Whats next please ?

Many thanks
Steve

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
pull the breather off the back of the air filter box and check for excessive fume
If it was cranked while being excessively over full of oil could very well have done a ring in
Does the compression feel a bit on the low side ?
From memory there is no breather valve in the rocker cover just a felt lock to dampen the pulses and condense the oil out of the fume , but probably worthwhile pulling the rocker cover off & having a look.
There was a reed valve inside the crank that I had to replace once but I rather think was was fr oil full stop & not venting but it has been a long while since I pulled one of these down.

Buffy

Forum Newbie
Threads
No oil in the pipe , but I cant check compression Im afraid.
I did notice that the feed pipe in the fuel tank was crumbly , so replaced it , but no change

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Need to run the engine to check for excessive oil vapors or raw oil out of the block vent hose to carb air filter box area. On an engine with bad rings, if you remove the block vent hose AT the air filter/carb, it will pour out a steam like oil vapor mist constantly. Also will dribble out oil droplets every few seconds.

Still sounds like a dirty carb to me. Or a fuel delivery issue.
Fuel tank was removed, flushed out, blown out both ways with compressed air?
I would install new fuel lines and filter. Old fuel lines can deteriorate inside dumping trash towards the carb. Verify you have good fuel flow into a glass jar AT the carb.

Usual clean cylinder cooling fins all the way around the cylinder/s. Valve adjustment check and de-carbonize the cylinder/s wouldn't hurt.

slomo

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It could actually be out of time.
Have you pulled off the flywheel & checked the ignition timing key ?
Have you verified the valve timing ?
not unheard of for the hand held GX engines jumping a tooth on the timing belt