Honda Generator no power

Craftsman Garage

Threads
I got a 70s Honda EG1000 generator from my neighbor that had been sitting in a barn for years. Got it running a while ago and noticed no sign of power coming from it. Tried the 110 outlets and nothing. I’m totally new to generators so let me know where to start TIA

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Alternator will need re-magnetizing most likely...

Mr Fixit.

Forum Newbie
Threads
Try plugging a drill in while gen set is running, pull the trigger on the drill and spin the chuck by hand. If it works the drill will start running so watch your hand.
Good luck

Craftsman Garage

Threads
Uhh i don’t have a corded drill 😅 How do I remagnetize the magnets??

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Uhh i don’t have a corded drill 😅 How do I remagnetize the magnets??
Basically you need something with an electric motor that you can plug in, and then spin to create a small amount of power for the genset windings to pickup and bring up to the correct voltage. Any electric motor when spun becomes a small generator.

Forest#2

Threads
I've got a service manual on a Honda EG1400 and if no AC voltage it indicates to check for 12v DC at the brushes. (with the engine running at 3700 rpm's) If it has 12vDC check the condition of the brushes and slip rings and also check the rotor resistance as around 15-18 ohms reading across the slip rings with one brush lifted.

It indicates if the unit has 12vDC at the brushes and the rotor checks ok to excite the gen by connecting a 12v battery to the brushes and of correct polarity. (I lift one brush and use a 9v transistor radio battery.)this re-excites the rotor if it has lost it's magnetism due to long term storage.
As the guys on here suggests you need to try the electric drill method as a safer method and remain aware that the drill will start spinning immediately if the gen excites.

You might try looking for a site on-line called SMOKSTAK and posting in the generator section also.