Honda gcv190 mx8

jackcu

Threads
I need to know how much compression my cylinder should have. I checked it and it shows 60 psi, I think that is low. Does anyone know what the compression number should be is on my gcv190?

jsalis57

Threads
Does the GCV190 engine have a decompression feature on the exhaust valve as the older GXV 120 - 140 engines? If so, that would need to be deactivated to get a proper reading for compression.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Does the GCV190 engine have a decompression feature on the exhaust valve as the older GXV 120 - 140 engines? If so, that would need to be deactivated to get a proper reading for compression.
What? Take apart the engine just to get a better reading? Heard them all now.

slomo

jsalis57

Threads
No, you do not take apart the engine. On the GXV engines you simply remove the valve cover and slide the rocker arm off of the exhaust valve, pull out the push rod and then pull the rope. Look it up, google is your friend.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
No, you do not take apart the engine. On the GXV engines you simply remove the valve cover and slide the rocker arm off of the exhaust valve, pull out the push rod and then pull the rope. Look it up, google is your friend.
Which is not taking apart the engine? Removing the valve cover? Sliding the rocker arm off? Pulling OUT a push rod? I'm dumb YES, but sounds like taking "something" apart to me.

slomo

jsalis57

Threads
Which is not taking apart the engine? Removing the valve cover? Sliding the rocker arm off? Pulling OUT a push rod? I'm dumb YES, but sounds like taking "something" apart to me.

slomo
Well, if that is too much for you to get a proper reading so be it. I don't understand why you would have such a tone when all I was asking was a simple question about the GCV engines. Go about your day and perhaps someone else will answer my question about the GCV engine as I was asking.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
61 psi according to the Honda shop manual. Some versions have a compression of 71 psi And those are measured at cranking speed with the compression release activated.

jsalis57

Threads
61 psi according to the Honda shop manual. Some versions have a compression of 71 psi And those are measured at cranking speed with the compression release activated.
Thanks for that information.

jackcu

Threads
Thansk so much for that info, really appreciate that.