Honda GCV160 timing problems

tbass61

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Toro pressure washer with a Honda GCV160. Popping through the carb. Cleaned carb and tank and replaced plug with original type NGK. Sounds like timing but I am not familiar with Honda Engines. Worked on Briggs, Tecumseh, Kohler and even old Clinton engines but this one has me baffled.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a Toro pressure washer with a Honda GCV160. Popping through the carb. Cleaned carb and tank and replaced plug with original type NGK. Sounds like timing but I am not familiar with Honda Engines. Worked on Briggs, Tecumseh, Kohler and even old Clinton engines but this one has me baffled.

Does it actually start and run? If not, could be a stuck (open) intake valve. I've seen some GC/GCV engines with this issue, often traced to not-so-great fuel causing build-up on the valve, gooing it up enough to stick in the guide.

If does start and run, but backfires, could be fault in the carburetor allowing too much fuel, or valve(s) out of adjustment.

tbass61

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Robert@Honda. It was loaned out and no idea the quality of fuel they used. I'll check that valve.