Honda 2417 Gcv 530 Engine Surging

jc996

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2004 Hondaa 2417 with the Gcv530 engine. I bought it with the engine hunting up and down. I thougt a good cleaning of the Carburettor would cure it. No such luck, got a carburettor of ebay , just the same. Took another carburettor i had and cleaned it from top to bottom , all jets out and cleaned, still the same. I got another carb of Amazon and fitted it last night, although it runs a bit smoother it still revs up and down. I have changed the gaskets between the carb and spacer and between the carb and the air filter, still no joy. The lawnmower was lying up so i also drained the tank and changed the fuel filter (non genuine). Cant figure it out , usually a good carb clean or replacement cured all ills with these gcv530 engines. Did anybody ever come across the spacer between the carb and the engine give trouble?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Does it smooth out when you add a little choking?

jc996

Forum Newbie
Threads
No, not really, it did on the last one ok , but not on the new carb, why do you ask?
Once you raise the revs, you can see the govenor going up and down, when you put it to full revs and blades on it is almost ok.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
To see if the problem is a carburetor jetted too lean (fuel related) or a governor problem. With almost okay it can even be that the idle speed is set too low.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Carb cleaning to some, means shooting carb cleaner on the outside and maybe a small shot into the venturi bore. Carb boiling to some, means nearly nothing. Working with another poster, 10 pages later and still has a poor running engine. Okay enough venting.

Taryl has a video on honda engines, probably the same one you have, talking about gaskets and mismatching.

jc996

Forum Newbie
Threads
To see if the problem is a carburetor jetted too lean (fuel related) or a governor problem. With almost okay it can even be that the idle speed is set too low.
Can you richen the mixture?

jc996

Forum Newbie
Threads
Carb cleaning to some, means shooting carb cleaner on the outside and maybe a small shot into the venturi bore. Carb boiling to some, means nearly nothing. Working with another poster, 10 pages later and still has a poor running engine. Okay enough venting.

Taryl has a video on honda engines, probably the same one you have, talking about gaskets and mismatching.
Thank you, took out all the jets in the old carb , even the ones below the brass caps,new gaskets, plugs, fuel filter etc.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Make sure the gaskets line up to the carb.

Some people drill out the main jet to richen it up. Not advising you to do that.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Make sure the gaskets line up to the carb.

Some people drill out the main jet to richen it up. Not advising you to do that.
Triple check for air leaks, shorten the throttle spring very slightly and reattach, then as a last result, slightly enlarge the pilot (idle) jet. What brand of carburetor is it? I have the hunting and surging issue commonly with customer mowers until I finally solve it. Can be very frustrating!