Honda 160cc ACRS Surges

nhawlman

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Troy-Bilt 21" Push Mower with Honda 160 cc OHC, Autonatic Return choke system.
I drained the gas last fall, and ran it dry. I changed the oil and cleaned the Air filter.

When I started it this Spring, it has a noticeable Surge, as though the Hi Jet needs adjusted.
But I can't find any adjustments.

It's the same with the Filter removed,
and in any Choke position.

Thanks for any help,
Nevin

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
The few available adjustments on that engine are probably not going to resolve the surging issue.

It sounds more like there's dirt / debris / decay blocking the main jet, so the carburetor should be cleaned or replaced. A fully-assembled new carb is usually under $25.

I'd try running some SeaFoam or other fuel system cleaner thought it first; sometimes, this will do a good enough cleaning to make it run smooth.

In the future, suggest you put the mower away for the season when NO fuel in the tank or carburetor bowl.

-Robert@Honda

Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding was my opinion alone.

topzide

Forum Newbie
Threads
The ethanol based fuel that we are forced to us in small engines can cause so many problems. That was great that you drained fuel and the end of last season, but you got bit by this fuel!. you will need to remove the carb. to clean the jet and fuel pickup tubes. The ethanol based fuel attaches water moisture which can cause corrosion in the fuel system. When I was working in the small engine sales and service, we found that the StarBrite Co. made STARTRON fuel additive that help with this problem. I've been using this for 7 - 8 years with great success! Just take your time with the carb. cleaning. If you have a digital camera, take step by step pictures to help with reassembly. Hope this helps, Jim