Homeowner: Shopping for a Line-Trimmer

CCinPA

Forum Newbie
Threads
Shopping for cordless line-trimmer around the yard. To be used in 1/2-hour increments. I have tried some in the past... But it seems that they spit-back debris towards me. Suggestion on one that would not make a mess out of me?

cruzenmike

Threads
Shopping for cordless line-trimmer around the yard. To be used in 1/2-hour increments. I have tried some in the past... But it seems that they spit-back debris towards me. Suggestion on one that would not make a mess out of me?
Look for something that has a larger guard on it and know that you can control the clippings based on how you cut. Differences being walking forward vs backwards and/or having your string trimmer slung to your left vs right side. These variables will influence the direction in which clippings travel. Regardless, it's a dirty job.

There are many decent cordless trimmers out there. I personally have never tried or owned the cordless type but I would go for one that has sufficient reach, preferably a straight shaft model, one that is well balanced and lightweight for comfort and most importantly enough run time on a single charge to do so that you need it to do.

Lawn Addict
Threads
And remember a curved shaft trimmer will spin clock-wise,

where-as a straight shaft spins CCW. Just an FYI. I prefer the straight shaft trimmers, & I'm a leftie, so I stand on (Right side) opposite side most usually do.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Probably a pretty decent tool and would meet your needs. But that $90 replacement battery, or $120 for a more powerful one, would sure hurt if the OE battery gives out just out of warranty. I have a couple older battery trimmers and have to admit, they sure are handy. And quiet!

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Probably a pretty decent tool and would meet your needs. But that $90 replacement battery, or $120 for a more powerful one, would sure hurt if the OE battery gives out just out of warranty. I have a couple older battery trimmers and have to admit, they sure are handy. And quiet!
And of course it will fail on you. Then you place your initial investment in the garbage along with your battery trimmer. Most batteries are NOT covered under warranty. Batteries are batteries is what some companies say. Batteries have a limited lifetime. How many charge cycles and so on. Rapid chargers kill the cells quickly. Best to use a slow type charger meaning 12 plus hours to top off.

Get a gas powered unit or hire a lawn crew. Most people don't want to spend the money on a lawn crew. But when you look at the price for a mower, string trimmer, edger and hedge clippers, you are well ahead with a lawn crew. Zero maintenance, zero equipment storage issues, no gas can bombs sitting it your garage and so on. You sit on your couch watching the game sucking down a few cold ones. Plus we are all getting older and WE deserve it. (y)

slomo

a022mil

Threads
Have had great success with a straight shaft Stiehi gas trimmer, have had it over 4 years , think I paid a little under $200 for it.

a022mil

Threads
Stiehl straight shaft gas trimmer, believe I paid a little under $200 over 4 years ago.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Shindaiwa T-235 (straight shaft) bought new back in 2015. Never has skipped a beat. I catch the year end sales at my Mower Dealer.
So I spent well under $200. when I got it.

jstpsgthru

Threads
Kobalt batteries are warranted 3 yr on my blower, probably same for trimmer. The tool warranty is generally 5yr. Having said that, I've used the same gas powered Shindaiwa trimmer for 15 years, with the same carb ..... just changing spark plug and filters, except that it still has the original fuel filter.