Home made air filter?

grass cutter

Threads
The air filter on my sthil blower has desecrated. Since it's too old of a model to still be stocked, I was wondering if I could take a normal foam air filter that goes on a lawn mower, cut it in half and stick in in the air filter space? Would this work ok?

wizardknight

Forum Newbie
Threads
An air filter's job is just to keep crap out. So as long as there is enough air flow, and nothing is getting into the system it should be ok.
The trick will be finding something that has similar air flow.

mnnt02

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have had to do this before. Go get a foam filter that is bigger than you need and cut it. The Briggs 3.5 hp engines uses a foam filter that would be the size I think you would need.

crobar13

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have had to do this before. Go get a foam filter that is bigger than you need and cut it. The Briggs 3.5 hp engines uses a foam filter that would be the size I think you would need.

On same issue, maybe someone can help me...
I have a 25 year old Stihl weed wacker that runs like a beast. Unfortunately, most parts are no longer available. My foam pre filter has disintegrated, and the main filter (I think it is 1/8 inch felt) is beyond saving. I took a Kohler foam filter and cut it to size, now I have a serviceable pre filter. I can order a stock 1/8 sheet of felt and do the same for the main filter. Will this work? Do I need to know about air flow through the new felt, compared to the original Stihl filter?
Thanks.