Hitachi Trimmer Problem

jackercracker

Forum Newbie
Threads
quick link to the video of my problem trimmer:

‪Gas trimmer problem‬‏ - YouTube

Hi, I have a Hitachi trimmer CG22EASSLP. I bought it new over the internet (now I am sorry I did, love Hitachi stuff, but this one's a real lemon).
The first time I used it, it worked awesome. I used it for about 5 minutes, then stopped it to go and get some hearing protection. When I restarted it, it had the problem that I'm about to describe (actually, I have a link to youtube so you can see the problem in action). I got frustrated, and went back to it the next day. No problem again, worked fine, until I stopped for a break, then the problem reoccurred. Since then I've tried it several more times, but it's never worked good since.

I originally thought it was the mix, I was using 50:1 Husqvarna oil in 89 octane California gas. I changed it to Tanaka 50:1 in a new 89 mix. No dice. BTW both mixes work fine in my Husqvarna 372XP and my Toro powervac.

It's under warranty, but it's a real pain to go through it, I'd rather fix it myself if it's a simple fix.

Here's the link to the vid:

‪Gas trimmer problem‬‏ - YouTube

Thanks for your help :)

Edwards saw service

Threads
You need to adjust the hi speed carb jet out ( richen the mixture) also double check that the exhaust port isn't clogged with carbon build up. Also inspect the muffler for build up. You may have used too much oil in the gas mix.

Edwards Saw Service in Glen Mills PA

jackercracker

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately there aren't any mix screws on the carburetor (it is a Walbro carbie WYC-22, from the Hitachi parts list - but couldn't find it on the Walbro site), just an idle screw.
Since I've probably only used it for a total of 20 minutes, there's not much carbon buildup to speak of.
As for the mix, I used 50:1. Are you suggesting I go for less oil than that, like 60:1?

Edwards saw service

Threads
50:1 is fine. Just double check that your ratio is correct. Take the carb off and inspect the metering lever. Make sure it is plum level with the metering diaphragm. .

Edwards Saw Service in Glen Mills PA