Blades High Lift blade for 21 inch HONDAS push or self propelled mowers

Westman

Threads
  • / High Lift blade for 21 inch HONDAS push or self propelled mowers
To the folks running the 92-101 blade on the HRX; are you also running the 92-102 as the top blade? 92-102 is Oregon's factory replacement top blade on the HRC. Think an HRC top blade would even fit and work on an HRX.... are you guys running the original HRX top blade? Or, are you only running the 92-101 blade and not using a top blade?

I am about to sell this HRX and get a Time Master. cut quality at 4" on cool season TTTF, TRG, and KGB is driving me mad.

Thanks guys,
I just picked up the Oregon 92-101 blade for my HRR2168VKA. The blade bolted on without any need for modification. I removed the twin Honda stock blades, running the Oregon only. It's been raining here today so I can't comment on cut quality yet, but the suction and air movement into the rear bag is noticeably improved. I rear bag almost all the time, so improved vacuum and suction would be great. The Oregon blade is much more robust than the stock Honda blade (bottom). I'll report back when I can test it out once the weather improves.

Westman

Threads
Only running one blade, how is the cut height now? Is it cutting taller with one blade? Your blade edge is now higher in the deck. Might need to space the blade down to match the OEM dual blade setup.

slomo
I cut the lawn today for the first time with the Oregon 92-101 blade. As you mentioned, I needed to adjust the blade cut height down. I lowered the rear wheels by one notch on the adjusting bar to compensate. The new blade cuts evenly and provides more upward suction than the Honda OEM blade(s). Significantly more. This is what I was looking for. The rear bag seems to be more full with the increased air velocity. The grass that was pushed down by the wheels is raised. No "wheel stripes". In the fall, I'll re-install the Honda twin blades when the leaves here start to fall so that they are chopped a little finer when being bagged. The Oregon blade seems to be what I was looking for. I'll probably buy another ($20) Amazon so that I can rotate them, keeping them sharp. Thumbs up for the Oregon 92-101!

ammodave

Threads
I bought the kit and installed it on a new standard lift Honda blade. Drilling the stock blade was not possible with the cobalt or carbide bits I had so I heated the trailing edges of the blade to remove some of the hardness. The cutting edge was clamped in a bench vise to act as a heat sink and preserve the hardness of the edge. The airfoils are about 1 3/4" by 2 5/8" and made of what appears to be 1/8" mild steel (you could easily make your own). They are attached by 5/16" fine thread bolts about 3/4" long overall. The airfoils increase the lift on the blade by about 1/2".

In use, they increase the suction considerably but there's a problem. After about 5 min of use the engine shuts down like it's run out of gas. I'm guessing the stock Honda carb can't deliver enough fuel to support the extra load. After the bowl refills, you can restart the mower and mow another 5 mins. The modified blade does not cause any extra vibration (it seems to be balanced). I surrendered, put my old blade back on and finished mowing.

IMG_0171.JPG

ammodave

Threads
Do any of the snappers have a blade clutch? That was a big selling point to me when I bought the Honda.

barreja4746

Forum Newbie
Threads
To the folks running the 92-101 blade on the HRX; are you also running the 92-102 as the top blade? 92-102 is Oregon's factory replacement top blade on the HRC. Think an HRC top blade would even fit and work on an HRX.... are you guys running the original HRX top blade? Or, are you only running the 92-101 blade and not using a top blade?

I am about to sell this HRX and get a Time Master. cut quality at 4" on cool season TTTF, TRG, and KGB is driving me mad.

Thanks guys,
hi,

i have the exact same question. i followed this thread, bought the Oregon 92-101 and am looking for thoughts on whether or not i need the 92-102. i cant determine if the recommendations are to just run the one blade (92-101) by itself. did anyone respond to your question?

barreja4746

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you mulch and use theIR standard double gator type of HONDA blades-don't read further. HONDA mulching is great and can't be beat.

If you want a high lift blade to bag read on...

The HONDAS all come with a mulching which is a middle of the road .75 lift blade. But if you move up to 1.00 lift, this is a 33 1/3% increase in lift and bagging. You can even hear the difference. Obviously HONDA sells 9 to 1 to owners who prefer to mulch.

How to accomplish this extra lift and superb bagging possibilities?

You will throw the small blade away.

Don't do the following: take the existing HONDA .75 lift mulching blade and bend the outer tails for more lift. This isn't permanent as the spring steel will spring back after time.

Buy the OREGON high life 92-101 blade at 1 lift. Yes, this blade is a little too long at 21.25 inches, but the 3 holes are a perfect fit for HONDAS. Now take this blade and grind the outer edges until the fit is perfect. yes, trial and error are fine. The balance IF you get it to fit is perfect too-I've checked. Obviously, if you grind WAY too much off one side you will be off balance. You also gain about 3/8 to 1/2 inch in your cut as the HONDA blades like all blades are measure diagonally and are a little short of 21 inches.

RESULT: you have a perfect fitting HONDA blade with a LIFT increase of 33 1/3 percent. The bagging is stunning better. The look of your lawn is text book stunning. The blade is twice as heavy as the HONDA mulch original equipment blade. The mowing swath is now larger with a true 21 inch blade not a diagonally measured 21 inch blade.

You get what you pay for. As an example, this new heavy duty blade can be sharpened about 30 times as it is THAT heavy duty. Thank you OREGON for perfection.

REMINDER: you CAN NOT drill the three holes correctly as this is high spring steel and must be done by OREGON during the manufacturing process.
the 92-101 is larger than the OEM blade on my Honda. However, the 92-101 fits inside the underside of the Honda, without contacting the edges of the mower. Do you still recommend grinding it down to match the OEM overall length?

barreja4746

Forum Newbie
Threads
I cut the lawn today for the first time with the Oregon 92-101 blade. As you mentioned, I needed to adjust the blade cut height down. I lowered the rear wheels by one notch on the adjusting bar to compensate. The new blade cuts evenly and provides more upward suction than the Honda OEM blade(s). Significantly more. This is what I was looking for. The rear bag seems to be more full with the increased air velocity. The grass that was pushed down by the wheels is raised. No "wheel stripes". In the fall, I'll re-install the Honda twin blades when the leaves here start to fall so that they are chopped a little finer when being bagged. The Oregon blade seems to be what I was looking for. I'll probably buy another ($20) Amazon so that I can rotate them, keeping them sharp. Thumbs up for the Oregon 92-101!
you are running the 92-101 single lower blade only on the Honda rather than the combination of the 92-101 and 92-102 upper blade?

Westman

Threads
you are running the 92-101 single lower blade only on the Honda rather than the combination of the 92-101 and 92-102 upper blade?

I am running the blade single (no other blade). No issues.

barreja4746

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am running the blade single (no other blade). No issues.
one more question, did you sharpen the 92-101 or run with manufacturer's edge? i ask as the blade as delivered under Oregon's specs is dull to touch. after speaking with Oregon techs, they indicated this was the proper edge, sharpening not needed. however, when i used it the cut was a little dull and not very clean.