High end 21" mower recommendation

canuck88

Threads
Hi everyone.

I'm looking for a high end 21" mower for my home. I only have about 0.25ac, but I appreciate fine equipment and want something that will last. I mulch 90-95% of the time (very sandy soil which needs all the nutrients it can get), and bag leaves and such the other 5-10%. I want something that won't bog down, and prefer to have features that most commercial mowers have (ie. ball bearing wheels).

Currently, I have a Lawn Boy Insight 10686 (6.5hp Tec), a John Deere 14SB (4.5hp FC150V), and an MTD Pro stainless (Honda GCV160). I would probably sell these 3 to help fund the new purchase, and my budget would be up to about $1,200.

So far from my research, I think my best options are probably:

Honda HRX (GCV190 engine)
Snapper commercial with additional Ninja mulching blade & either the GXV160 or FJ180 engine
Toro Proline commercial (used)
Toro Super Recycler (w/ the GCV160)
Restore my John Deere 14SB (new engine and BBC would be about $300)

Any suggestions/recommendations?

Grass ala Mowed

Threads
I like my Toro but I think the GCV 160 engine is overrated. I think it's been engineered to a price point, not a performance point.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I also like the Toro, but i would recommend the model 20281 over the 20382. Honda is not my favorite engine on the Toro

canuck88

Threads
You're saying you'd recommend the made-in-China honda clone, toro-badged engine over the actual Honda engine? That doesn't make much sense to me....?

I also like the Toro, but i would recommend the model 20281 over the 20382. Honda is not my favorite engine on the Toro

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes, that is what I'm saying. Here's why, Honda uses an aluminum bore cylinder--- Toro uses a cast iron sleeve cylinder, Honda has aluminum bushings on the crankshaft --- Toro uses ball bearings, Honda's auto choke system has never really worked well in the long haul --- Toro's system is fashioned after the B&S system, definitely starts better. The Toro engine runs quieter. Yes I know it is made in China and is a Honda look-a-like, but I have taken it apart and I liked what I saw. Plus the warranty is 5 years same as Honda. Honda makes a great generator, water pump, industrial engine, I won't deny that, but their lawn mower engines do no live up to the Honda name. You will get different opinions, but that is why I like the new Toro engine.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
You could get the best of both worlds with that kind of budget; the Honda HRC216HXA has the "old-school" GXV160 engine, with cast-iron cylinder sleeve, driveshaft (no belts), fully hydrostatic drive, blade-brake clutch (blade stops, engine keeps running) and is 100% commercial grade. The real proof, IMHO, is the cut quality. The twin-blade set-up on the Honda is a superior mulching design. I mow (mulch) both fescue and bermuda here in north Georgia and it works for me.

It's true the Honda GCV190 was designed to be less costly to manufacture than the traditional GXV-series. The GCV engines are well-proven and have been out in the market for 15+ years now. Honda recently captured 3 of the top 5 spots in Consumer Reports ratings for mowers. FWIW.

canuck88

Threads
Thanks for the reply Robert. I agree, the HRC is a great mower - I just wish it was a little lighter and a little more powerful (GXV200 maybe?)... but i"m going to check it out again today along with the Snapper. I know the FJ180V has more power, but supposedly the Snapper is loud (mostly from the blade/wind), so I'd like to see just how much louder than the Honda...

You could get the best of both worlds with that kind of budget; the Honda HRC216HXA has the "old-school" GXV160 engine, with cast-iron cylinder sleeve, driveshaft (no belts), fully hydrostatic drive, blade-brake clutch (blade stops, engine keeps running) and is 100% commercial grade. The real proof, IMHO, is the cut quality. The twin-blade set-up on the Honda is a superior mulching design. I mow (mulch) both fescue and bermuda here in north Georgia and it works for me.

It's true the Honda GCV190 was designed to be less costly to manufacture than the traditional GXV-series. The GCV engines are well-proven and have been out in the market for 15+ years now. Honda recently captured 3 of the top 5 spots in Consumer Reports ratings for mowers. FWIW.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Didn't know that Toro used a GVX160? I assumed that Canuck was looking at the Toro. If you are mulching, I will stand behind the Toro as having the best mulching system on the market. Plus I do not work for Toro. I also know that we can argue this until it starts snowing.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Didn't know that Toro used a GVX160?

I am 99% sure all Honda mower engines on Toro mowers are the premium residential GCV-series (diagonal split block design, internal timing belt) and not the commercial GXV-series engines (traditional cylinder head/block, pushrods).

Will confirm when back in the office tomorrow...