Hidden Speed Control Lever R7271

FuzzyDriver

Threads
Hopefully one of you old timers can help me with this head-scratcher.

I built a carburetor for my NOS R7271 and installed it. Once I got the shroud on, I noticed that the Speed Control Lever (Part No. 611070) was completely hidden from view (see photo, cover and filter not on). This made no sense to me. If you get it notched in normal speed, most owners wouldn't even know it had a lever!

I ordered an NOS 611070 to see if the Speed Control Lever on my carburetor (which I already knew was the right carburetor body) was the wrong one (i.e., with a shorter lever sticking out). The NOS one I received was identical.

I searched, but couldn't find an R7271 where you could see the control lever. I did a screen capture of an R7271 from a YouTube video. You can't see the control lever on that one, either.

Is this normal? Why would LawnBoy hide the lever/make it too short? It's difficult to even get your finger between the air cleaner cover and shroud to move it. Besides that, once you get it into 'Normal', it is VERY difficult to get it out without breaking it.

Attachments

• R7271 My NOS.jpg
    R7271 My NOS.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 10
  • R7271 YouTube.jpg
    R7271 YouTube.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 9

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That is the way those old F100 series engine were built and is normal. The lever is call a speed control lever, but is just use to set an idle or governed top speed. They call it light or normal in the manual I’ve attached. Most people just leave it set to normal and have no reason to change it. Hope this helps, manual says it better than I do. https://lookup3.toro.com/ttcGateway/acrobat/manuals/lball21.pdf

FuzzyDriver

Threads
Thanks for confirming my observations, Rivets. It just seemed so, I dunno, weird to me that for years owners would have no control at all and then, along comes Walbro and users suddenly get full control! One more reason I like the Walbro-equiped Lawn-Boys.

I'll leave it as-is, and thanks again.