Help with Speed and not stopping - TroyBilt Bronco 2004-2005 model

Chris_Townley

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Help with Speed and not stopping - TroyBilt Bronco 2004-2005 model
I had an issue I just fixed. Bearing went out in clutch(?) (I guess that's what you call it) - the thing in the rear with the pulley that the center piece moves up and down to control speed....
Anyway; those two bearing in that froze up - and it wouldn't go forward or backward.
So I replaced them and now it does front and back fine...
BUT now my issue is it moves even without pushing down the gas. So what would make that happen...??
I first thought maybe it wasn't moving because the main drive belt was loose and didn't have enough tension.
So I bought a new belt and put it on. IT's the same length; but might be a tiny bit fatter. SO I didn't know if maybe if it "gripped" more..?? And that caused it to go faster or not stop.
I know before I changed the belt I usually kept the gas pedal close to wide open. If I slam it down now it'll almost pop a wheelie... Also now when I take my foot off the gas; it'll still go forward; not real fast; but it won't coast to a stop like it's supposed to

SO question is.....
Has anyone run across this problem; or what do you think or suggest..??

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The system works by varying the tension on the front ( lower ) belt .
So in your case you have either routed the belt wrongly through the clutching pulleys ( pair that move when you press the accelerator pedal ) or you have positioned the springs wrong so it is pulling the belt too tight .
Without your foot on the go pedal the front belt should be slack enough to slip on the drive pulley.

And the double pulley you replaced the bearing in is usually called the "variator" or "sliding sheave"

Chris_Townley

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply. And in most cases I'd say you would be right.
Turns out it was the "width" of the belt that caused the issue.
I took off the new belt and compared them again. Both were the same length; but the OEM belt was a little narrower.. (1/8" at most)
I put the old belt back on and it worked perfect...
I guess file that one under "Huh - go figure??"
Thanks again. I DO have a separate question about the brakes; now that I got that fixed.
I'll do a search first and then maybe a new post...

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
NEw post would be good.
Sounds like you were supplied the wrong belt.
Most belts are supplied in bulk to the retailers who then put them in the sleeves & in some cases actually put the size label on the belt.
This is low value work & often done by disabled workshops where very few actually know about belts, they just put the lables supplied in box 1 onto the belts in box 2 and pack them into box 3

jmartin919

Forum Newbie
Threads
Always buy OEM belt for drive belt. More expensive but works without issue.