Help with landscape

Saulonetgo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello.
I have this area in my house that the grass doesn't grow there because it is a part shade area during the day.
Can someone help me with ideas on how to cover that area and avoid water wash everything away?
I don't want to try to add more grass there because It didn't work before. Any recommendations?
Thank you
Saulo
View attachment 40099

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I can't picture anything there besides grass. Looks like more of an issue with poor soul quality than shade to me...

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I will be the odd man out.
low growing herbs like thyme, lemon grass, dwarf basil,
Pig face , prostrate grevilla.
Without knowing how much sun, shade & water that space gets it is hard to say.
It looks like a PIA area to mow so low growing ground covers will serve you better than grass will.
Planted then overplanted in a totally randome pattern so if some thing does not take it will not look like there is something missing.

Mass plantings of prennial herbs is alwaus good in "waste" areas like that.
So firstly you will have herbs for the kitchen but the fragrant ones will smell nice every time to brush past or walk over them.
Mix both the plant types, colours & heights say 1" to 6" and again a random pattern.

Grass will always look poor & neglected in that area but once mass planted it becomes a no work space, just a bit of water in summer and some fixed sprinklers on a timer will take care of that.

if you want to get arty poke some mixed freesia bulbs or Jhonqil bulbs under the ground cover so they can poke their heads up in spring.
Freesias are a favourite as they come in a million colours , will tollerate poor light , poor soils and are dirt cheap

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And if you brush past them, fragrant herb plants like lavender & rosemary are good because when you brush past them they release nice smells.

Google "cottage garden" for ideas then find variants that are shade tollerant.