help with idle surge/hunting.

85mudslinger

Forum Newbie
Threads
checked few other forums. threw out this pick up. i have done a lot to my cub cadet 1641 v-twin, anyway the current problem is engine surging/hunting... messing with the choke does not seem to help my cituation.. but if i put it about 3/4 throttle it seems to run fine... any other time its running so poorly id almost think its running on one cylinder.... i check the spark plugs there fine except a little red/brownish colored which they was brand new just yesterday... i have already tried readjusting the mixture screw and idle screw. so ive been thinking between a governor issue or trying to clean the carburetor.... any idea's or opinion's? everything ive heard that has to do with bad idle like this usualy you can fix it by playing with the choke... so that's why im wandering if its not the carb.. maybe its the governor assymbly.. considering when its more throttle its putting more pressure on governor springs making them tighter i think....

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Can't help you too much unless we know what engine you have. Remember we can't see what you are taking about. Post some engine numbers please.

85mudslinger

Forum Newbie
Threads
the engine is in the comment I left. its a v-twin. shouldn't be any need for numbers. cub cadet engines was limited in that model. I don't need a book reader to look it up online I can do that myself. I was looking for experience, personal experience. hands on experience.... let alone this type of issue would actualy relate to more than just a pacific engine in general. I just wanted a typical opinion, wether I chase the carburetor or the governor area, springs and stuff. reading from a book only teaches you so much. yes there is numbers on the engine but there isn't any need for all that sense cubs didn't have many engine selections let alone as I said this pacific problem would affect many different engines not just this one so I don't no why ud need all that info unless your just looking it up. reading from a book or online articles. just forget it, I found a much more useful knowledged site.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
With 40+ years working in this industry, I would not consider myself just a book reader. If you think that every engine brand is adjusted the same and a full time mechanic is the only one that came help you, that is you option. I'll stay out of the way. Good luck in your search, I hope you get the professional help which you desperately need.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
The Professional help he needs he can not get here.

He needs to be in the I am a asstard group.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
checked few other forums. threw out this pick up. i have done a lot to my cub cadet 1641 v-twin, anyway the current problem is engine surging/hunting... messing with the choke does not seem to help my cituation.. but if i put it about 3/4 throttle it seems to run fine... any other time its running so poorly id almost think its running on one cylinder.... i check the spark plugs there fine except a little red/brownish colored which they was brand new just yesterday... i have already tried readjusting the mixture screw and idle screw. so ive been thinking between a governor issue or trying to clean the carburetor.... any idea's or opinion's? everything ive heard that has to do with bad idle like this usualy you can fix it by playing with the choke... so that's why im wandering if its not the carb.. maybe its the governor assymbly.. considering when its more throttle its putting more pressure on governor springs making them tighter i think....

Drain the gas tank, add a can of SeaFoam and fill it up with non-ethanol gasoline(89-91octane) and see if that doesn't fix your problem after one tank full of gas(then don't go back to using ethanol gas).

85mudslinger

Forum Newbie
Threads
im not really questioning your mechanic abilitys but I said it was a cub cadet 1641 with v-twin engine... that's a dead give away to the engine If you knew cubs. if you didn't no cubs giving you the engine number wouldn't even matter cause its not like you have them memorized, that would be dumb, memorize engine numbers but not what they go in? giving the engine numbers shouldn't matter unless your reading up on it in a book or googling answers which I can do myself. I was looking at experienced answers. people who have been there done that type of thing.... the website I found I told u about is far from full time workers. they are just cub cadet lovers and very knowledged in cub cadets. the pacific problem idle surging and hunting is actualy a common problem in every lawn mower and I was only asking if it was in the governor assymbly or the carburetor.. so far I have only received one good legit answer here. the only reason two of you got butt hurt over this is probably cause your just sitting there googling answers or reading a book about them to answer any of the questions asked here. that's not legit answers for every cituation. that may work on some thing's especialy to people who don't know anything at all about lawn mowers. so I didn't mean to hurt any ones feelings but that just wasn't what I was looking for. I wanted more experienced answers with legit answers. and hey lets face it... 80% of people who go to these sites to answer questions they all pretend to be highly experienced or from a shop. but most of them are not. most of them are just looking the answers up. its like the country song... (I grow a foot, lose a bunch of weight every time I log in)

id like to add, I appreciate the one good answer. others have also told me that on the other site. thank you.

jim44

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good grief! Seems real stupid to me, to come on a forum asking for help, while you're acting like a complete a$$hole. I think that you could sure use some help. Good luck with that.:laughing:

Buckshot 1

Threads
:thumbdown: My suggest is for you to back to the other forum and quit wasting our time. Now flame this post. Good luck on your endevers.