Help with carb on older 5hp Briggs

louky1150

Threads
I was gifted an older snapper push mower that I want to get running. It is self-propelled, electric start, seems to have all the parts. I finally got it to "pop" today but it obviously needs carb attention. The engine #is 124707 3147 01. 5hp Briggs. According to the parts places, the carb for this engine is no longer available from Briggs. I have had great luck in the past buying knockoff carbs for my 2 cycle trimmers, saws, blowers, etc. I'd be happy to buy a knockoff for this but can't seem to get a good number. There are a lot of carbs that look like the one that is on this mower. It does NOT have a primer plunger, and I assume it has some sort of auto choke. Has anyone successfully put a knockoff carb on one of these engines? TIA!

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
for choke type, Briggs & Stratton 494217, even the aftermarket choices are slim on this one... superseded from 493868, 494217
Might could swap over an autochoke 799866 carb since the model series is the same, Not 100% sure though.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
I was gifted an older snapper push mower that I want to get running. It is self-propelled, electric start, seems to have all the parts. I finally got it to "pop" today but it obviously needs carb attention. The engine #is 124707 3147 01. 5hp Briggs. According to the parts places, the carb for this engine is no longer available from Briggs. I have had great luck in the past buying knockoff carbs for my 2 cycle trimmers, saws, blowers, etc. I'd be happy to buy a knockoff for this but can't seem to get a good number. There are a lot of carbs that look like the one that is on this mower. It does NOT have a primer plunger, and I assume it has some sort of auto choke. Has anyone successfully put a knockoff carb on one of these engines? TIA!
Put up some pics of your old carb. Take the nut off of the bottom of the carb and take a peek.

louky1150

Threads
Thanks for the responses. The code number is 91011825. I will not have a chance to get back on this for a while but will take some pics when I can. I did take the bowl off; the bowl doesn't look bad but there is no fuel getting through the float needle. There was a small piece of the float that fell off which is why I am thinking I may need a carb. Some of the knockoff carbs are less than $15, and a float, float valve, and gasket would probably cost that much. I will report back when I have a chance to work on this some more.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Cost of a new float needle and seat, plus float should be less than $15. Float number would be 398187 and needle and seat would be 398188.

Mower King

Threads
Cost of a new float needle and seat, plus float should be less than $15. Float number would be 398187 and needle and seat would be 398188.
But you forgot to add shipping.....USPS not too bad but UPS could be another $10 - $15

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Any good repair shop should have these parts in stock. I’ve even seen them at some of the BB stores.

louky1150

Threads

louky1150

Threads
Rivets: Thanks for posting these numbers. I found both of them on Amazon with free shipping and will order them, about $12 with tax. I have previously gotten gun shy rebuilding 2 cycle carbs and was only batting about 50% when I switched over to just buying clone carbs. I have done better with float type carbs in the past and will go that way. BTW, would you happen to have a number for bowl and bowl gasket?