Help with Briggs 500e series 140cc repair (Craftsman M100 push mower)

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Help with Briggs 500e series 140cc repair (Craftsman M100 push mower)
Never used a sledge to beat on a crank that was still in the block. Never entered my common sense box of tricks.

So are you saying a sledge will not hurt the metallic bearing and seal areas around the crank? Aluminum block and a rubber seal? LOL LOL

nicdar

Forum Newbie
Threads
I take off blade and slide o piece of heavy pipe about 2 feet long that just fits over crank shaft,turn mower on side ,turn crank to high bend is up then hit pipe sharply with heavy hammer until crank is straight

Richard Milhous

Threads
I take off blade and slide o piece of heavy pipe about 2 feet long that just fits over crank shaft,turn mower on side ,turn crank to high bend is up then hit pipe sharply with heavy hammer until crank is straight

I bet if you hit the crank directly you'd have problems. Or if the crank was bent really bad and required repeated pounding. I've got one that leaks a bit at the bottom seal; pretty sure the crank has been straightened because when I got it the blade was broken. Not just bent, had a chunk bit off.

Using a pipe to give you say 20x leverage reduces the lateral impact load on the crank by 95%.

EDIT: Actually it's more complicated than that. What's the distance between the top and bottom crank bearings? Between the bottom bearing and the bottom end of the crank?

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
EDIT: Actually it's more complicated than that. What's the distance between the top and bottom crank bearings? Between the bottom bearing and the bottom end of the crank?
No need to calculate. Guy is playing with dynamite.

jshep1102

Threads
I turn the mower on it's side and put a very thick piece of angle bar between the base of the crankshaft (i.e. at the lower seal) and my concrete driveway and wail away. This angle bar absorbs the blows so the engine housing and seal don't have to. Have had very good success this way.

artemjemmy

Threads
No need to calculate. Guy is playing with dynamite.
You must be one of those same people who think using starting fluid will shear the flywheel key, right? Or that using a hammer and prybar to break a flywheel loose will destroy a crankshaft?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
You must be one of those same people who think using starting fluid will shear the flywheel key, right? Or that using a hammer and prybar to break a flywheel loose will destroy a crankshaft?
Don't forget I think Slick 50 is THE best oil treatment on the market. Better than what you use.

SamB

Threads