Help w/Craftsman walk behind

burrpenick

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am looking at a 22" self propelled, RWD/B&S engine Craftsman mower. I BELIEVE this is made by MTD. Is the drive system decent? The Platnum Briggs s/b OK. thanks, GP

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads

Write down model & serial numbers as well as all numbers from engine and read reviews online for particular mower. If reviews are good check oil on dipstick, is it black, low on dipstick or too high, do you smell gas on dipstick? Air filter clean or need replaced? Turn mower on its side with carburetor side closest to ground, look at underside of mower deck & blade, wheels, transaxle. Lastly, crank it up & operate all controls, idle, full throttle, self propelled, how does it operate? Let us know how it goes. If you decide to purchase mower, ask for owners/operators manual etc. If you find that mower needs blades, air filter, spark plug & oil change I would try to negotiate lower price.

burrpenick

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, its mine now! Got it for $140. I was very happy with it. I did everything you mentioned as well. Just cleaned the underside of the deck and wire brushed/painted with Rust Oleum rusty metal primer, sharpened the blade, it was not really dull. Got new filter and oil as well. I think this w/b a keeper for me. He didnt have the side chute but thought it was at his other house. I never bag, so can I prop this door open till he finds it? Only question I have is that new auto choke system- lets hope it works well and is not too difficult to fix. George