Export thread

Help understanding this mower I bought: HRX217KVKA

T

ThisGuy74

So I bought this mower, its used obviously, but works great and looks in great condition too. Now the model number states: HRX217KVKA Serial: MAGA 1401628. Ive seen models HRX217VKA, but what does the "K" before the "V" mean? It has a GCV160 motor on it, but everything I find says it should have the GCV190. Is this the correct motor? It works fine etc, maybe someone swapped it at some point? Hoping Robert@honda can pop in...

Edited: looks like I found someone else with the same engine... Its the 3rd post by Roger
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=285293
So maybe there are a few flukes out there.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Welcome to the forum! The reason your specific mower has a K after the 217 is because that is the version of the mower you have. Unlike vehicles, Honda mowers don't have model years, they have different versions, which are designated by the letter or number after the 217. Yours says K because that stands for K1, or version 1. The more recent models after that would say 2 for K2 (version 2), 3 for K3 (version 3), etc. So that means you have the original version of the HRX217VKA. Below is a diagram showing what the model number means. And about the engine, yes it should have a 190cc engine, Robert@Honda will have to help you with that. My guess is someone swapped it out.

HondaMowerModelDecoder_zps68a1194e.jpg

T

ThisGuy74

Interesting... I asked the guy I bought it from last night again and he said he got it from Home Depot in 2011. I told him.about the 160 vs the 190 motor and the said that he did not swap it out. Could it be a limitation that Hone Depot did at one point?

OutdoorEnvy

OutdoorEnvy

Is it the shroud that says it's a GCV160 or is that what the engine serial number identifies it as?

T

ThisGuy74

The shroud and its stamped 160cm3

T

ThisGuy74

Do you guys think the gcv160 is a small motor or would it still perform fine for my 1/3 grass cuttings? I love the mower, the deck, the self propel etc. Just the motor is a little smaller.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

If you perform regular cuts you should be OK.....could I see a photo of the mower/engine to see what it looks like?

T

ThisGuy74

If you perform regular cuts you should be OK.....could I see a photo of the mower/engine to see what it looks like?

I see they still sell a Honda mower, pretty much the same with the smaller motor. Plus it has a lot of reviews so it must be working fine

Honda 21 in. 3-in-1 Variable Speed Self-Propelled Gas Mower with Auto Choke-HRR216K9VKA - The Home Depot

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Wow that looks weird with the black engine. According to the owners manual for your serial number for the VKA it says it should be the GCV190 engine, and although the owners manual is in black-and-white, it doesn't look like the engine you have on it.

T

ThisGuy74

Yeah whats weird is that I found someone else that has a GCV160 on their HRX217
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=285293

Post three, by Roger.

L

loco-diablo

I see they still sell a Honda mower, pretty much the same with the smaller motor. Plus it has a lot of reviews so it must be working fine

Honda 21 in. 3-in-1 Variable Speed Self-Propelled Gas Mower with Auto Choke-HRR216K9VKA - The Home Depot

I believe ALL the HRR variations have steel decks with the 160 engine, while ALL the HRX variations have the composite decks with the 190. I've never heard of an HRX with a 160. It may have been a Home Depot one off exclusive.
Robert could probably confirm based on the serial numbers..

A

alanwagen

Being a black motor, that is a replacement motor. So I'm thinking that is NOT the original motor for what ever reason.

robert@honda

robert@honda

All Honda HRX mowers have been made with the GCV190 engine.

Looks like this HRX frame/deck has been re-powered with a smaller GCV160 engine. While not "factory," it should, depending on the turf and mowing condition, probably provide enough power/torque.

L

loco-diablo

Being a black motor, that is a replacement motor. So I'm thinking that is NOT the original motor for what ever reason.

That's weird. I wonder why the seller would lie to the OP about swapping the engine? OP asked him about it and he said that's how he got it.
If the seller bought it from HD as the original owner, he must have been the one who swapped it.

A

alanwagen

I don't who or where but he got screwed and tattooed.