Export thread

Help top starter bolt on BS v-twin installation

G

guest2

Help, I have tried every tool that I have and even ground afew so they are shorter, but still can not get the top bolt in the electric starter of an 18Hp V-twin Sriggs and Stratton installed. Can any one give me the proper installation directions for the installing this starter. I must be missing something is wrong. Frustrated is not the word for it, honestly I am embarrassed that i have spent over six hours messing with the top bolt alone.

Thanks.

B

benski

Have you gotten any other bolts started by hand that hold the starter in place? You may need to chase the threads in the aluminum? block if you've tried starting the top bolt with a socket or wrench.

G

guest2

The threads are find I can not get to the hole becasue the starter is in frount if it and the flywheel and shroud are in the way. I can get the bottom bolt in without issue. I am not thinging of sutting off the bolt to about a 1/2 long to see if that helh. There is not room because if the bendex ring and holder. Still needinghelp.

J

jeff

Place the bolt in the starter before you installthe starter, then turn it to start the threads, next install the other bolt and start it. Now you should be able to tighten both bolts. These bolts usually have a star center and can be turned with a torx bit.

G

guest2

Place the bolt in the starter before you installthe starter, then turn it to start the threads, next install the other bolt and start it. Now you should be able to tighten both bolts. These bolts usually have a star center and can be turned with a torx bit.

Thanks for the reply, I have tried that and there is just no room for a wrench, even after I have a couple of turns by hand. Maybe I can buy a bolts that has a star center mine do not. any ideas as to where to get one. the box stores do not have them.
Still needing help. I was thinking that there must be some secret to the install method or a special wrench for the top bolt. It sort of reminds me of the old starters on Fords back in the 60's

B

benski

Can you take a photo?

J

jeff

Any Briggs dealer should have the star bolts, or be able to order them.

G

guest2

Any Briggs dealer should have the star bolts, or be able to order them.

Very good idea, I will try to get one. thanks

B

benski

A socket head cap screw might do the trick if you can't find a Torx.

G

guest2

A socket head cap screw might do the trick if you can't find a Torx.

That is what i could find, hope I can get it tight enough. I should know tomorrow. Thanks for all the help. Sometimes you are just to close to the problem to see the solution. thanks again. It should work.

G

guest2

That is what i could find, hope I can get it tight enough. I should know tomorrow. Thanks for all the help. Sometimes you are just to close to the problem to see the solution. thanks again. It should work.

It worked great . thanks to all who offered help.

K

KennyV

Some times very special 'common' tools are needed because of close fit..
Nothing fits like a Snap On thin wall socket...

Just a silly question.. What did you use to remove it in the first place...? :smile:KennyV