Help Please Stihl BG85C Blower

2001f4s

Forum Newbie
Threads
My beloved Stihl BG85C about 12 years old is not starting. I have replaced and checked the coil and spark plug. Replaced carb with Amazon $13.00 carb. Drained and replaced gas. Using starting fluid. No start, not even a cough. Sounds as if it has compression, but have not looked at piston. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Scott

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Have you checked the screen in the muffler?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well, if it is plugged, it will run rich for a while. So do not use the choke for the first pulls, it may be flooded too.

2001f4s

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Fish. I have not. I will take a look and report back.
So on this one, and I am figuring you must know this already with your credentials, the spark arrestor is simply a screen that slides into the muffler. Pulled it out, and it was clean. In inspecting this blower I realized that I had it serviced by my local Stihl dealer last year. So arrestor screen was new along with air filter and spark plug.

Any other ideas would be appreciate. Tempted by the new Stihl blower vacuum 56C, but if I can get my old blower going. I will stick with this. I maybe use these for 3 hours a year, so very light use.

2001f4s

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, if it is plugged, it will run rich for a while. So do not use the choke for the first pulls, it may be flooded too.
Thanks, I will try again without choke. I have been using the choke initially both with and without starting fluid.

Last edited:

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah, if it is flooded, you ought to drain all of the fuel, and pull start it with the trigger wide open, until you get a hit. Otherwise, you should remove the muffler and take a peek at the piston. Also check the flywheel key. But try the flooding thing first.

2001f4s

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yeah, if it is flooded, you ought to drain all of the fuel, and pull start it with the trigger wide open, until you get a hit. Otherwise, you should remove the muffler and take a peek at the piston. Also check the flywheel key. But try the flooding thing first.
Thanks Fish. I will give those a try tomorrow and report back,

2001f4s

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Fish. I will give those a try tomorrow and report back,

Fish, a little embarrassed, but it was very flooded. wet muffler, plug seat and all. Cleared it out and running like a champ. I really appreciate the help. Good luck.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Great, glad to hear it!!