Help Needed

MGM

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am trying to decide between buying a Husqvarna MZ6128 and a Toro MX5480. Both are about the same price with the Husqvarna being a little less. The Husqvarna has a bigger deck, bigger engine, larger transmission, and bigger tires. The Toro has a Kawasaki engine vs a Briggs and Stratton in the Husqvarna and the deck looks a little more robust, and the Toro seat and control levers win the comfort comparison for me. I chose these two mowers because they seem to give the best quality for price that I can afford. I have to cut about 7 acres. About half is heavily wooded and half is clear. I have a compact Kubota Tractor that i pull a 5 ft finish mower behind now, but it is terrible in the trees and the last few passes in the open areas. I had a 46" Yard Machine riding mower but the trees and anthills caused its demise within three years with numerous repairs in between. I need a good quality mower that will last a long time with proper maintenance. Any insight or advise you can give to help me make this decision will be grreatly appreciated.

Shedmechanic

Threads
Both machines are awesome machines, but I would have to side on the Toro. I say that because I have good experience with Toro overall and have a Toro zero turn with a Kawasaki engine on it that is almost ten years old now. The only thing I have had to replace was a seal on the transmission last year. I think that was due to operating it at such an extreme ditchline I was cutting on my property. That was a ditchline that was approximately 400 yards long and it would get cut about twice a week every year. The Toro is still going strong with no problems since.

MGM

Forum Newbie
Threads
Both machines are awesome machines, but I would have to side on the Toro. I say that because I have good experience with Toro overall and have a Toro zero turn with a Kawasaki engine on it that is almost ten years old now. The only thing I have had to replace was a seal on the transmission last year. I think that was due to operating it at such an extreme ditchline I was cutting on my property. That was a ditchline that was approximately 400 yards long and it would get cut about twice a week every year. The Toro is still going strong with no problems since.

Thanks Shedmechanic, I'll add a check to the Toro column. I'm hoping to hear a few more opinions before deciding. I did see on on website that the Husqvarna's oil filter was difficult to reach.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would stay away from Kawasaki engines. I have seen more major problems in my shop with them then any other engine and parts are very expensive. I know a lot of people won't agree on this but that is my experience.

MGM

Forum Newbie
Threads
I would stay away from Kawasaki engines. I have seen more major problems in my shop with them then any other engine and parts are very expensive. I know a lot of people won't agree on this but that is my experience.

I'll chalk one up for the Briggs and Stratton Reynoldston, I have no practical knowledge of any of these motors including Kohler but I get the impression from reading different articles that many think the Kawasaki is a superior product. Maybe they just have a superior marketing dept. Thanks for the reply.