Help! My son hit a rock with his trimmer, broke car window....

Jimbo45

Threads
  • / Help! My son hit a rock with his trimmer, broke car window....
My 14 year old boy started a lawn care biz this summer, 4 residential yards, 15 open lots, and one boulevard stretch. He was servicing a duplex, and got a rock with his string trimmer, and it broke the tenants van window. He notified them right away and explained we would take care of it. They were very nice about it. I need help figuring out how to replace this? Are we on the whole hook since we don't have biz insurance (I know, I know)? Their car insurance cover this (I'm guessing we would have to cover deductible)? Duplex owners insurance might come into play? How much is mowing insurance? Lol. He is distraught over this.:frown:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
You are basically on the hook for the entire amount. Even if you let the car insurance company take care of it, The owners car insurance company will bill you for the full cost if you don't take care of it with the van owner. The insurance that you are looking for is called inland marine commercial insurance. It is actually cheap for what they cover. Depending on where you are located could be like a couple hundred a year for a millions dollars liability coverage.

MowLife

Threads
More than likely you will have to fix it out of pocket. A insurance claim may backfire on you and the victim.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If he wants to continue to do his mowing he will have to get insurance as already stated.
Down here it is called public liability.
HE might consider this a "cheap" lesson as it is only a van window.
If it hit a young woman on the face enough to leave a scar you are talking thousands .
As for making a claim on the customers insurance, forget it.
As previously mentioned they will come after you for the money + costs and then could jack up the premium of his now lost customer
HE will also need to have a look at how he trims to avoid tossing up rocks and might even get a better guard for the trimmer.
Lots of after market big guards.
My commercial customers use a dedicated edge trimmer for this reason and because they give a cleaner sharper cut, but edge trimmers have a much better guard than a line trimmer turned sideways.

Jimbo45

Threads
You are basically on the hook for the entire amount. Even if you let the car insurance company take care of it, The owners car insurance company will bill you for the full cost if you don't take care of it with the van owner. The insurance that you are looking for is called inland marine commercial insurance. It is actually cheap for what they cover. Depending on where you are located could be like a couple hundred a year for a millions dollars liability coverage.

Thanks!

Jimbo45

Threads
If he wants to continue to do his mowing he will have to get insurance as already stated.
Down here it is called public liability.
HE might consider this a "cheap" lesson as it is only a van window.
If it hit a young woman on the face enough to leave a scar you are talking thousands .
As for making a claim on the customers insurance, forget it.
As previously mentioned they will come after you for the money + costs and then could jack up the premium of his now lost customer
HE will also need to have a look at how he trims to avoid tossing up rocks and might even get a better guard for the trimmer.
Lots of after market big guards.
My commercial customers use a dedicated edge trimmer for this reason and because they give a cleaner sharper cut, but edge trimmers have a much better guard than a line trimmer turned sideways.
I know on the insurance. I knew better, his biz just got bigger than expected, quite quickly and I put off the insurance. He started with a family friend s yard and it took off from there. His Stihl line trimmer has the factory guard on it. I haven't seen any of the lawn service s around here using anything larger than those on their trimmers? Thanks for the help guys.

Jimbo45

Threads

Did some online quotes tonight, all seem to run about $500 a year. Ouch. But, for the piece of mind, I guess it's a necessity. Now, going through all the business/insurance terms, it sounds like I need to license a business. Off to make another help thread.....

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Even when insured most don't file a claim for a broken window unless it's really pricey. It's usually just written off as the cost of doing business. Having a claims history isn't something you want.