Help me build my mower!

grass cutter

Threads
I was thinking about taking a older riding mower and putting a smaller pulley on the tranismition. I would like for it to go maybe 35-40mph, so what would a be a good size to put in it? I was thinking about maybe a 3in? Also, is there a specific mower that would be good to do this to? Keep in mind it has to be pretty cheap, and I'm not buying new, or pretty new. Thanks for any input:biggrin:

CajunCub

Threads
The biggest problem with going 30-40 MPH on a lawn mower is STOPPING! Brakes are a must at that speed if you hit something you will get hurt bad!

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
The biggest problem with going 30-40 MPH on a lawn mower is STOPPING! Brakes are a must at that speed if you hit something you will get hurt bad!

Just drag your feet....it worked for Fred Flintstone........

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Like was said ... good brakes or thick soles on your shoes...'

BUT ... if your engine has the torque to pull the 3 inch pulley on the trans input shaft... the belt will slip on that small pulley....
Also things like tires and steering become a bit more important at 40 MPH... good luck... take pictures... :smile:KennyV

grass cutter

Threads
So, a good mower would be
1. Big engine
2. Good brakes
And that's about all. Maybe a old craftsman or something. Those are pretty common round here. Do those things have those clutch/ brake combo deals? I would have to change that to a separate clutch and brake because that would be a pain trying to shift out of 5th and having to slam on the brakes at the same time.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
So, a good mower would be
1. Big engine
2. Good brakes
And that's about all. ...

Uh... What gave you that idea?
You are going to need a lot more than an engine and brakes...
BUT as you start trying to get it together you'll encounter a bunch of obstacles..

since you are not needing a working deck, you may find some decent Garden Tractors to start with... KennyV