Help installing a fuel pump on non fuel pump engine.

Killross2012

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Help installing a fuel pump on non fuel pump engine.
I got a Kohler 19hp on a Craftsman DYT4000 rider. It’s gravity fed tank from under the seat . I got it for free. Got it running beautifully, but when I mow my hills for like 10-20seconds it stalls out and won’t run til level. I watched the fuel filter empty out while watching it . Iam gonna install an external fuel pump. I need a vacuum spot.
Since there’s no carb boot, I can’t do that, there’s no external dipstick tube so I can do that . My only option is the valve cover. It’s a V shaped on it, so I can’t get a built in version . It’s got a breather tube. When I drill , I only want to penetrate the outer valve cover? Or will I need to go get into the second one? I don’t think Y-ing into my breather hose will be sufficient. What’s y’all thoughts?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I don't think I have ever seen a gravity flow fuel system with the tank under the seat. just doesn't work due to the tank being lower than the carb. Which Kohler engine do you have. Some of the Courage singles had the fuel pump under the blower housing. Also the Single courage with the fuel pump had a nipple under the blower housing to supply vacuum for the pump. The versions without the fuel pump have a threaded plug in the hole were the nipple would go.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Just be aware engine built before Engines with Serial Numbers 41003xxxxx may not have these plugs. 2011 year. 2011 and newer use a 1/8 NPT 90 degree fitting when converting to a fuel pump. Also be aware switching to a fuel pump will require a carburetor change out to one for use with fuel pumps.

Killross2012

Forum Newbie
Threads
I don't think I have ever seen a gravity flow fuel system with the tank under the seat. just doesn't work due to the tank being lower than the carb. Which Kohler engine do you have. Some of the Courage singles had the fuel pump under the blower housing. Also the Single courage with the fuel pump had a nipple under the blower housing to supply vacuum for the pump. The versions without the fuel pump have a threaded plug in the hole were the nipple would go.
Hmm, Iam gonna pull the top off. My neighbor gave it to me. Said he had to constantly replace carbs, I found it had a bad/ almost collapsed gas line. It’s a 2007 19hp Kohler Courag single cylinder .But when I replaced the lines, the lines attached from tank, under the seat came up to a shut off, then a fuel filter then had even more of a slight up to attach to the carb. My neighbor said guy he got it from replaced the motor maybe he didn’t hook it up right afterwards. I will investigate

Killross2012

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just be aware engine built before Engines with Serial Numbers 41003xxxxx may not have these plugs. 2011 year. 2011 and newer use a 1/8 NPT 90 degree fitting when converting to a fuel pump. Also be aware switching to a fuel pump will require a carburetor change out to one for use with fuel pumps.
Dang, not what I was hoping to hear. It’s an 07 motor. I was hoping hoping to attach fuel pump find a vacuum spot to plug into. I was thinking since the inner valve cover sleeve has that reed for pulsing I could tap into the outer one and be fine hooking straight up to carb I got on it.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hmm, Iam gonna pull the top off. My neighbor gave it to me. Said he had to constantly replace carbs, I found it had a bad/ almost collapsed gas line. It’s a 2007 19hp Kohler Courag single cylinder .But when I replaced the lines, the lines attached from tank, under the seat came up to a shut off, then a fuel filter then had even more of a slight up to attach to the carb. My neighbor said guy he got it from replaced the motor maybe he didn’t hook it up right afterwards. I will investigate
That engine was available with and without fuel pump. The original engine most likely had a fuel pump. The replacement engine may not of had the fuel pump.

VegetiveSteam

Threads
I got a Kohler 19hp on a Craftsman DYT4000 rider. It’s gravity fed tank from under the seat . I got it for free. Got it running beautifully, but when I mow my hills for like 10-20seconds it stalls out and won’t run til level. I watched the fuel filter empty out while watching it . Iam gonna install an external fuel pump. I need a vacuum spot.
Since there’s no carb boot, I can’t do that, there’s no external dipstick tube so I can do that . My only option is the valve cover. It’s a V shaped on it, so I can’t get a built in version . It’s got a breather tube. When I drill , I only want to penetrate the outer valve cover? Or will I need to go get into the second one? I don’t think Y-ing into my breather hose will be sufficient. What’s y’all thoughts?
You are correct. Y-ing into the breather hose will not work. One thing to remember is you're not looking for vacuum, you're looking for positive and negative pulses from the crankcase. If you drill the rocker cover, yes you will need to drill through the inner liner that holds the reed plate also. Unless you can find a way to seal the fitting you install so it is only open to the crankcase and sealed off from the reed side of that inner plate I don't believe it will work.