HELP, front yard is a weedlot!!

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Got about 1/3 acre which was mostly grass, but now is weeds. Need advice on how to restore grass. There is a septic drain field in the middle and have read warnings about rototilling deeper than about 6." Considering two approaches...

RIPPING: I guess this means running a cultivator to loosen everything and then dragging out the weeds? But all I have is my old Craftsman dyt 4000 Intek and do not know how heavy an implement I can use. There is a 3 point cultivator for sale locally , width 51", weight 102 lbs, $350. The question is could ole red take it, and is that the right approach?
Once loosened I guess the weeds can be dragged into a pile with chain link fencing?

BURNING: Means buying a lot of clear plastic to cover the area for 6 weeks this summer. Supposed to kill everything. Then dragging?

WHADDYA THINK? thanks

panabiker

Threads
If you want to kill everything, the easy way is to use Round Up (NOT the extended control type). You can seed in a couple of weeks. That's how the landscapers in my area do for seed a new lawn. You can cultivate the lawn once the grass and weeds are killed. The best time to do it is late summer. I wouldn't use the rototiller. It goes too deep and it creates an uneven surface. I made the mistake a few years ago on half of my lawn.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
panabiker, thanks, I guess I got into the present mess by not using strong herbicides. I do spot spray cross bow. Stubborn and still trying to be partially "green."

gatorblade

Threads
panabiker is right about the no till. If you can't salvage your yard which I would take a hard look at, then Kills all or Round up is another option. After killing all, then I would rent a seed slicer and sow both ways to get it even. The dead weeds will act as straw somewhat so you may not have to straw at all or just lightly. I would time it so you will have mowed the new grass a few times before going into winter . You can do this!

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
Round up is only a contact killer with no residual. It will burn grass down but some grass, like Bermuda will come back. If you spray your lawn in early spring with round up mixed with another chemical that has a residual you can give your warm season grass a head start. Once the weeds are dead and the grass is greening fertilize it. Spray the lawn again with round up and another chemical in the fall. I come from an agriculture family, so I mix harmony with round up. Don't know if you have that available. It also depends on what kind of weeds you have. Check with your local ag extension office. You can get a lot of great advice from them on how to control weeds.