Help for a newbie!!!

jefferoni

Forum Newbie
Threads
Today I got my 22" 6.5 hp Craftsman walk behind out of the shed for it's first use this spring. Wouldn't start. Checked gas - mostly dry. Filled gas. Wouldn't start. Small squirt of starting fluid. Started then died. Repeat. Removed big screw (drain) and fuel hose from carb. Used gentle air pressure on these two orifices. Reassembled. Started mower. It is running very very rough acting like the timing is off or?? Chugging out big puffs of blue-back smoke. My best guess is that it's getting way too much fuel.

Opinions?

Answers?

Serial and model numbers: 012379M001111 917 377 270

Engine number: 1439765007006K

Thanks in advance,

jeff

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Today I got my 22" 6.5 hp Craftsman walk behind out of the shed for it's first use this spring. Wouldn't start. Checked gas - mostly dry. Filled gas. Wouldn't start. Small squirt of starting fluid. Started then died. Repeat. Removed big screw (drain) and fuel hose from carb. Used gentle air pressure on these two orifices. Reassembled. Started mower. It is running very very rough acting like the timing is off or?? Chugging out big puffs of blue-back smoke. My best guess is that it's getting way too much fuel.

Opinions?

Answers?

Serial and model numbers: 012379M001111 917 377 270

Engine number: 1439765007006K

Thanks in advance,

jeff

Have you cleaned the air filter could have oil in it.
Start it with out the filter and see how it does.

Is the oil over full or have gas in the oil?

Maybe a whole carb cleaning might be in order.

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

jefferoni

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have you cleaned the air filter could have oil in it.

Clean, no oil

Start it with out the filter and see how it does.

Same as with.

Is the oil over full or have gas in the oil?

Nope and nope

Maybe a whole carb cleaning might be in order.

This should help, I think. After seeing a carb diagram, I realize the air I squirted into it may have karked up the jet and/or needle and seat in the carb.

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

Thanks,I'll let you know how it goes

jeff

jefferoni

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks,I'll let you know how it goes

Pulled the carb off, cleaned and disassembled it. Reassembled, fired it up. Same results as before - lots of chugging (sort of violent) and puffs of blue-black smoke.

Any ideas?

jeff

LakeRat1

Threads
I find that on these small engines, That have been setting up for a couple Mo. if i take & put a STRONG dose of SeaFoam in the Gas, ( 4 oz) or so it cleans up the gunk in the Carb.

LakeRat