Help finding a battery and charger

Caleb02

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a model 228670x8a electric start lawn mower, and I would like to get the electric start working. All I need is a battery and charger but I can’t find one. Does anyone know where I could find either an exact replacement or a close fit?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Being a Murray that was built around the time they were going out of business. Parts are mostly NLA from Briggs which is the current owner of the Murray brand.

The battery appered to have been a Cyclon Hawker Energy 0819-3022 12 v. - 2.5 ah/3304w which currently being cross to their
trans_1x1.gif
0819-0016 Enersys Monobloc, 12 Volt, 2.5 AH 1x6 Battery
and the battery charger is PN 671992MA which is still available thru Briggs part suppliers.

Caleb02

Forum Newbie
Threads
Could any 12v lead acid battery work?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Cyclons charge at a similar rate to standard open cell lead acid batteries.
However being a spiral cell battery they have an astronomical discharge rate and are extremely mechanically strong.
The problem is going to be getting enough CCA to turn over the engine from any other type of battery that is small enough to fit in the same space.
For those who do not know Cyclons are a lead-tin , AGM , PVR, SLA battery with the plates wound in a spiral pattern like a tar paper capacitor .
This allows the cell grids to be a lot thinner than a standard lead acid battery and to pack more plate into each cell.
IT also makes them mechanically a lot strounger than a normal battery particularly in regards to vibration resistance
The CCA of a battery is directly proportional to the surface area of the plates so spiral cell batteries have very high CCA's for their actual capacity.
I have used them for near 20 vears on the vintage motorcycles because they are unspillable , can be used in any orientation & do not self discharge.
The same story applies to Optima batteries which we used exclusively in the courier fleet & hire cars .

Standard open cell batteries are mechanically weak because the plates hang in a cantilever manner from a busbar that runs down one side of the battery.
The positive busbar runs down one side & the negative runs down the other.
As such they suffer badly when used in a situation where they are exposed to vibration & mechanical shock.
After cyclons, the next best batteries for mowers are motorcycle batteries which are also machanically strong but tend to have a lower CCA because motorcycles use starters with reduction gears on big engines and a very high reduction ratio on direct drive starters .