Export thread

Help, dead dixon ram ultra

D

deaddixon

Hey guys, hope someone has an idea. I have a 2007-2008 ram ultra 50" with the kohler curage v twin 25hrs. I was mowing some prairie grass and it just died been mowing fine. Seemen warm, some grass in the cooling fins were smoking. It has done that before as u cant see that while mowing. The smoking I mean, never died. The primary fuse was blown so I replaced it, blew that one. Nothing, no lights no nothing. Tried to jump the solenoid, sparks, but did not turn over. Is there a way to turn it over to at least see if the motor is seized? And what electrical issue would cause the primary to blow like that? Thanks

G

gainestruk

To turn it over by hand you could take off the blower housing, that way you could get ahold of the fan on top of engine.
Also you would be able to clean the fins on the cylinders at the same time.
Maybe someone else will chime in on blown fuse, good luck

D

deaddixon

Looks as the courage has no courage. Fan off and could not turn it with a huge pipe wrench. Magnets shattered inside the fly wheel. About 300 hrs:mad: What one do you all recomend to replace it with? And any place reasonable for new motors? Thanks

M

MRCo.

Oh dear. Courage engines aren't the best...in kohler you need a Command. You could go Kawi with an FR. The issues you will face are does the muffler fit the ex ports on the new engine, does the engine fit in the engine area, and do the linkages and wiring need alterations? Good luck.

DSepe

Replace it with Kohler Command. Kawasaki FS/FX or Briggs Vanguard. All three are good quality.

djdicetn

djdicetn

Replace it with Kohler Command. Kawasaki FS/FX or Briggs Vanguard. All three are good quality.

Spot on advice!! I rate them (1)Kawa FS/FX, (2) B & S Vanguard and (3)Kohler Command. I've owned two of the three(never had a Kohler) and can attest to their durability and reliability.

djdicetn

djdicetn

Looks as the courage has no courage. Fan off and could not turn it with a huge pipe wrench. Magnets shattered inside the fly wheel. About 300 hrs:mad: What one do you all recomend to replace it with? And any place reasonable for new motors? Thanks

Sorry to hear about that!!!! I looked at the Dixons in 2012, but leaned towards the DX-100's because they had the Kawa FX engine. Several users here have bought the Ultra with the Kohler Courage and sorry to say(based upon my research) I wouldn't have taken a chance on an Ultra(very solid machines for the money....except for the engines:0(

D

deaddixon

After talking to tech I found a replacement in the 730-3043. I know lots of guys that have been running them for years no prob. its 699 vs a bunch more and with limited doe right now that's what I will buy in the Kohler. Yes the mower is built like a brick crap house and very nice other then that. But here is what the tech guy says at Kohler. May not be a motor fail issue but a failure caused by the electronic pto or clutch? So how do I find out if the clutch has shorted out and caused the short to go through the shaft and blow the bearing? Which trashed the magnets in the fly wheel. I hate to put the new power head on only to have that clutch trash the new one right out the gate. Any help, thanks in advance. Or is there a way to do away with elec pto?

djdicetn

djdicetn

After talking to tech I found a replacement in the 730-3043. I know lots of guys that have been running them for years no prob. its 699 vs a bunch more and with limited doe right now that's what I will buy in the Kohler. Yes the mower is built like a brick crap house and very nice other then that. But here is what the tech guy says at Kohler. May not be a motor fail issue but a failure caused by the electronic pto or clutch? So how do I find out if the clutch has shorted out and caused the short to go through the shaft and blow the bearing? Which trashed the magnets in the fly wheel. I hate to put the new power head on only to have that clutch trash the new one right out the gate. Any help, thanks in advance. Or is there a way to do away with elec pto?

Personally, I don't know enough about ZTR troubleshooting/repairs......but I don't think I've ever heard of a clutch or PTO "causing engine failure". I would be suspicious that the Kohler tech was sending me down a rabbit hole and simply "pointing fingers" at the blame for the engine problems. And....I've never priced buying a Kawa or B & S replacement engine(new or used) so I can't tell you if $699 is a "deal" or not. Sounds like you've got more "Courage" than I would have if I were in your place:0)

Carscw

Carscw

Can not blame kohler for this one.

I will be very blunt YOU destroyed this engine and only you.

I don't care what brand engine you replace it with. If you do not take better care of it the same thing will happen.

When you let grass build up on or around the engine it is going to get way to hot and BANG

D

deaddixon

You know, this is the jackass response everyone can deal with out. There was no huge pile of grass crammed in my motor. No, I did not blow my fricking mower. I washed the dam thing before I mowed, just changed oil it was almost as clean as new other then a small amount of normal trimmings sucked in. As said digging further it apears as if the clutch may have caused the issue with spark or current going through the shaft and destroying the bearing. Please don't post on my thread again with stupid slamming comments. Mods should ban guys like you. I got off the phone with warner clutch and it has happened. Unfortunatly a simple clutch can destroy your motor. They should find a better way of grounding them is what should happen. Next mower will be back to old fassion with no elc pto.

Carscw

Carscw

First off you said when you shut the mower off the grass was smoking and has done it before. If the grass in the fins was smoking then the engine could not breathe and got to hot.

You can get mad all you want but there should never be that much grass in the fins that it burns.

Call them back and ask them why the clutch went bad and shorted out into the shaft. Never mind I will tell you it got to hot to many times.

If the clutch was known to do this because it was poorly made then they would have recalled them.

D

deaddixon

It wasn't the grass. I said thats what I thought. It was the seal melting from the arch. Go away. Sorry I joined here if there is people like you on here. I talked to several dealers who saw this problem as well on cubs etc. Its not an engine thing, but an engine killer. It does it at very low hrs. Rare, sure, but if your one of the ones it happens to your screwed. Unless your under your warranty. They admitted it has happened to me, so I know it is out there. I know one shop I talked to had like 10 he saw. Yes you would think they would do something. But they dont. Aparantly some of the windings in the clutch get bare spots, no covering, and cause the ground fault. I asked is there not a way to stop this? He said you could do a extra ground strap from the case somewhere to the frame. A simple 8" wire for 10 cents could save these motors possibly, so why do they not require it. Maybe so they can stick you for some doe in a few years? I found this out from other forums. So next time you decide to be the internet tough guy, think first. It was the seal burning hot not grass as I had thought. For me grass was the obvious culprit for the smoking. I was wrong. That said anyone else that uses a elec pto, I would consider adding an extra ground. So it will take that path instead of the crank shaft when it goes.