HELP..briggs & stratton popping or backfiring through the carburetor

kennyl15

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / HELP..briggs & stratton popping or backfiring through the carburetor
I have the same problem 19 hp but I would almost say exhausting through the carb. it runs but putting some exhaust out the carb..what should the compression be ? its around 75 psi seems out of time maybe? any ideas?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Remove the valve cover and have a look, put up the engine's numbers, which are likely on or near the valve cover.

You could have a sticking valve, loose seat, sheared flywheel key, but don't keep running it, or you could have a pile of rubble....

kennyl15

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you,
The numbers are Model 3p877, type 0110 E 1, code 06042oze. I took the valve cover off as advised, one of the valve studs was backed out of the head at least a turn and a half, this allowed the cap on the top of the valve to fall off, I put the cap on and tightened the stud with a wrench on the stud, thinking that the nut would turn on the stud before the stud was tight and throw the valve out of adjustment. I put the valve cover back on .It started right away and seems fine now. I think I'm going to take it apart again and put some lock tight on the stud.

thanks for the advice.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Get a set of feeler gauges and adjust the valves too! Do it right, and it won't keep being a problem. Yeah, Loctite is a good idea.

kennyl15

Forum Newbie
Threads
sounds Good I Have feeler gauges, what should they be set at? do you know? and do you set them running? or is there another way?
thanks again.

donens

Threads
Yep worn lobes, or missing teeth.

Even with worn lobes, wouldn't resetting the valve lash fix the problem since the valve should still open correctly at the proper time?

ThatGuyYouKnow

Threads
I had this problem on a 15.5 that had ran over a trailer anchor and stopped running. The cam shaft was messed up.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Even with worn lobes, wouldn't resetting the valve lash fix the problem since the valve should still open correctly at the proper time?

No because you adjust the valves when they are closed not open.(not touching lobes)