Hello, new member with Scag Questions.

Rjones4029

Threads
Good afternoon! I presently have a John Deere X320 which is doing a good job on about 2 acres. It only has 117 hours on it. However! I've picked up a couple of rental properties and both my mother and mother in law are getting older so I will probably be helping them as well. Now I'm getting closer to 8-10 acres and time is of the essence. A couple of the yards are an acre or so with tress but they are spaced ok? The 48" Deere moves around them fine. Based on what I've read it looks like I've eliminated the JD and Exmark. Think the Scag Tiger Cat is where I need to be. So, I have a couple of questions? Does my choice seem reasonable? Specifically I'm looking at the STC52V-691FX. It has the suspension seat and the other normal features. Asking Price is $8199 with 0 interest for 4 years. Will I be satisfied coming from the Deere? Thanks in advance?
lRJ

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi Rjones4029,
The Scag Tiger Cat is an upgraded version of the very popular Tiger Cub. I have a 2008 Tiger Cub/collection system and I am very pleased with it, however it did take me a long time to get accustomed to a ZTR having been a ride on GT operator for most of my life. I'm a retired mechanic that did power equipment in the 70s and select equipment servicing for most of my years in my own shop.
Last fall I was at my local Scag dealer looking at the same machine with the idea of having a second ZTR to keep at a customers property. I was impressed with the upgrades on the Tiger Cat compared to my Tiger Cub, but didn't buy one as I still have one of my GTs as a standby, and I really need to buy a new trailer!!!
Some aspects of ZTRs that you need to consider:
They are a rigid frame machine, no suspension, the Tiger Cat has a suspension seat.
They steer by changing the speed of each rear wheel with no control of the front wheel/casters.
They will slide sideways on hills.
In time as you become accustomed to a ZTR, your mowing time could be reduced to about half as compared to your JD X320 rider.
There is a collection system available from Scag for the Tiger Cat, pricey, but a very effective attachment should you feel the need.
JRCO makes a front mounted dethatcher for Scag ZTRs, also a very effective attachment should you feel the need.
I have both on my Tiger Cub, which makes it a "total" package!!!! IMHO!!!
48/0% is great financing, I wish that I could do that on a new trailer!!!
And with an FX Kawasaki engine, a top end machine!!!!
Go for it!!
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

Last edited:

Rjones4029

Threads
Since I posted this question the Exmark dealer has called and offered a LZE730KA604SS) LAZER Z E-SERIES FX730V KAWASAKI WITH 60" ULTRACUT SERIES 4 DECK for $8500 and the same terms of 48 months at no interest. It's a 6" wider machine with an extra year of warranty, 4 vs. 3 for residential would this change your mind?
Thanks

Hi Rjones4029,
The Scag Tiger Cat is an upgraded version of the very popular Tiger Cub. I have a 2008 Tiger Cub/collection system and I am very pleased with it, however it did take me a long time to get accustomed to a ZTR having been a ride on GT operator for most of my life. I'm a retired mechanic that did power equipment in the 70s and select equipment servicing for most of my years in my own shop.
Last fall I was at my local Scag dealer looking at the same machine with the idea of having a second ZTR to keep at a customers property. I was impressed with the upgrades on the Tiger Cat compared to my Tiger Cub, but didn't buy one as I still have one of my GTs as a standby, and I really need to buy a new trailer!!!
Some aspects of ZTRs that you need to consider:
They are a rigid frame machine, no suspension, the Tiger Cat has a suspension seat.
They steer by changing the speed of each rear wheel with no control of the front wheel/casters.
They will slide sideways on hills.
In time as you become accustomed to a ZTR, your mowing time could be reduced to about half as compared to your JD X320 rider.
There is a collection system available from Scag for the Tiger Cat, pricey, but a very effective attachment should you feel the need.
JRCO makes a front mounted dethatcher for Scag ZTRs, also a very effective attachment should you feel the need.
I have both on my Tiger Cub, which makes it a "total" package!!!! IMHO!!!
48/0% is great financing, I wish that I could do that on a new trailer!!!
And with an FX Kawasaki engine, a top end machine!!!!
Go for it!!

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Deck width is a variable as a wider deck on a smooth lawn is OK, but will scalp more than a narrower deck on a varying lawn. Clearances between objects is another concern. My Scag has a 48" deck as does my GT, anything wider wouldn't comfortably fit between the ramp cables of my trailer with the collection blower installed. Trailer is a 7' X 14' cargo unit.
Local dealer gave up their Exmark dealership and the local Scag dealer picked up the Exmark line. Not many Exmark machines around here, but lots of Scag machines.
I would base my decision on the quality of the dealers service. The machines are similar, I think that the Lazer Z E Series has hydrostatic drive units, whereas the Tiger Cat has separate pumps and wheel motors, which I prefer. The Tiger Cat doesn't have fuel gauges and the Lazer Z E does if that makes any difference to you. Most fuel gauges are only accurate when the machine is on a level surface and not moving. I ran my Hustler X-ONE out of gas and it has gauges, ran my Tiger Cub out twice in 550 hours, no gauges. Of the few Exmark operators in my area, only one has a collection system, but about half of the Scag operators have collection systems and it is easy to switch from collection to chute discharge and back, I do it frequently after spring cleanup.
Demo the machines if possible, if you have never operated a ZTR, it will be a different experience for you!!
Mad Mackie in CT::laughing::biggrin::smile:

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
There is a fairly sizable JD dealer close to the local Scag dealer, but I don't see many JD ZTRs amongst the commercial operators in my area. I think that JD has too many models both ZTRs and GTs which is confusing to some folk, I think that Exmark also has too many ZTR models, local former Exmark dealer told me that you will never see a broad selection on display at any Exmark dealer in the northeast and if you do, some models may be 3-4 year old carry overs.

Rjones4029

Threads
Ok,I see your points? Think the Exmark could ne more mower for the money, especially with the warrant but I might have to buy a trailer too.. The Exmart dealer said there's no comparison between the two and he is 45 minutes away. The Scag dealer said they were both good machines and he is 15 minutes away. I know they are both good machines. I'm leaning toward the scag,
Thanks for the help.
RJ

There is a fairly sizable JD dealer close to the local Scag dealer, but I don't see many JD ZTRs amongst the commercial operators in my area. I think that JD has too many models both ZTRs and GTs which is confusing to some folk, I think that Exmark also has too many ZTR models, local former Exmark dealer told me that you will never see a broad selection on display at any Exmark dealer in the northeast and if you do, some models may be 3-4 year old carry overs.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Bear in mind that most if not all manufacturers state in their warranty that if the machine is moved from and used at another property then it is considered commercial use and affects the warranty.
As for trailers, many operators have open trailers and I had one years back, a 7.5' X 14'. I bought one that had the longest ramp that I could find, but still too steep and the mower decks would drag over the hinge. I also started doing snow removal and the open trailer got to be a pain in bad weather both summer and winter, so I bought a closed trailer with a ramp and extra height and installed brackets and other items to hold my small equipment, I'm on my 3rd cargo trailer. It is great to drive the mower into the trailer, close the ramp and go to the next job site or go home and lock it up!!
Any Hustler dealers in your area? My Hustler X-ONE/60" rear discharge deck is a beast, but an $11,000 machine!!!
Hustler X-ONE I may be a possible contender, new machine from Hustler and in the price range that you are at.

Rjones4029

Threads
Good morning,
I posted a smiliar quesion over on pricing page.
I can buy a 52' ExmarK Lazer E for $8000 plus tax.

I can buy a 52" Scag Wildcat for $8200 plus tax.

They seem to be as close in specs as they are price. Exmark has bigger pumps, Scag may have an edge in the deck. Warranty looks to be a bit better on the Exmark. Any reccomendations or would you flip a coin here. One diofference that could matter is the Exmark dealer is 45 minutes away and the Scag dealer is 15 minutes away.
Thank you for your time.

PS, called about a Hustler and the 52" X-1 is $8600. Probably not going that route for the extra money as they are all close.
Thanks
LRJ

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Good morning,
I posted a smiliar quesion over on pricing page.
I can buy a 52' ExmarK Lazer E for $8000 plus tax.

I can buy a 52" Scag Wildcat for $8200 plus tax.

They seem to be as close in specs as they are price. Exmark has bigger pumps, Scag may have an edge in the deck. Warranty looks to be a bit better on the Exmark. Any reccomendations or would you flip a coin here. One diofference that could matter is the Exmark dealer is 45 minutes away and the Scag dealer is 15 minutes away.
Thank you for your time.

PS, called about a Hustler and the 52" X-1 is $8600. Probably not going that route for the extra money as they are all close.
Thanks
LRJ
Hi LRJ,
You refer to a Scag Wildcat, do you mean a Tiger Cat? Wildcat model was stopped some years ago. The Tiger Cat is a combination of the Tiger Cub and the Wildcat and with upgrades.
As for Hustler, they make an X-ONE and a new model called X1i. The X1i has hydrostatic drive units and is lower priced than the X-ONE.
What I like about Hustlers is the way that they have setup the V belt tension adjusting with both a spring and a link chain, the others just have springs, this makes V belt replacement an easier job. Hustler also has the least demanding maintenance schedule of all ZTRs in this class.
Just some thoughts from
Mad Mackie in CT, still watching the snow melt, but 22 degrees outside!!!!:laughing::biggrin::smile:

Rjones4029

Threads
Yes Sir,
Youa re absolutley correct. It's the Tiger Cat. The Hustler Price was the X-ONE and not the X1i. I could call back on the X1i but was thinking I may be getting away fromt the other two as I'm trying to compare apples to apples. Cold here today. Snowing but was 70 two days ago...I cut onions over the weekend. :)
Thanks

Hi LRJ,
You refer to a Scag Wildcat, do you mean a Tiger Cat? Wildcat model was stopped some years ago. The Tiger Cat is a combination of the Tiger Cub and the Wildcat and with upgrades.
As for Hustler, they make an X-ONE and a new model called X1i. The X1i has hydrostatic drive units and is lower priced than the X-ONE.
What I like about Hustlers is the way that they have setup the V belt tension adjusting with both a spring and a link chain, the others just have springs, this makes V belt replacement an easier job. Hustler also has the least demanding maintenance schedule of all ZTRs in this class.
Just some thoughts from
Mad Mackie in CT, still watching the snow melt, but 22 degrees outside!!!!:laughing::biggrin::smile: