Hello, new member, just registered.

MVilla

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a HONDA HRR2163VXA. I‘ve replaced the transmission, have new rear wheels, bearings, pinion gears, etc., the whole rear end and drive cable are all new. The issue I have is that the Smart Drive handle does not return to the neutral position after I release the paddle.. The wheels do move. How can this problem be remedied? Thanks.

HarmonySeeker

Threads
Welcome to the Forum!
Sounds like you've got a real head-scratcher there.
Luckily, it just so happens we have a couple Honda Experts here on site who have to deal with issues like that daily.
Hopefully, they'll be by today and fix you up.
But again, Welcome to LawnWorld!

cruzenmike

Threads
I have a HONDA HRR2163VXA. I‘ve replaced the transmission, have new rear wheels, bearings, pinion gears, etc., the whole rear end and drive cable are all new. The issue I have is that the Smart Drive handle does not return to the neutral position after I release the paddle.. The wheels do move. How can this problem be remedied? Thanks.

Check out this page: https://peparts.honda.com/powerequipment#/browse/lm/hrr/hrr216/HRR216K3-VXA (Click on the bottom right image labelled "TRANSMISSION")

There are two springs that are part of the drive system (items 8 and 9). Since the cable is connected to a lever of sorts, that is then also connected to a spring, it is the tension from the connection on the drive unit that must return the Smart Drive handle back to neutral. It is also possible that the handle is bound up, but I would bet on guessing that the problem is what I have mentioned above.

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
Welcome to the forum!
The Honda section of the forum is a good place to look for answers :)

MVilla

Forum Newbie
Threads
Welcome to the Forum!
Luckily, it just so happens we have a couple Honda Experts here on site who have to deal with issues like that daily.
Thank you!
Check out this page: https://peparts.honda.com/powerequipment#/browse/lm/hrr/hrr216/HRR216K3-VXA (Click on the bottom right image labelled "TRANSMISSION")

There are two springs that are part of the drive system (items 8 and 9). Since the cable is connected to a lever of sorts, that is then also connected to a spring, it is the tension from the connection on the drive unit that must return the Smart Drive handle back to neutral. It is also possible that the handle is bound up, but I would bet on guessing that the problem is what I have mentioned above.

Thank you, Cruzenmike. The problem was that the handle was bound up. Somehow or other maybe through the years of use both handle grips worked themselves up to the clutch paddle. When I removed the clutch paddle to replace the clutch cable the handle grips moved further up the handle and when I reinstalled the clutch paddle I pinched the handle grips. That kept the paddle handle from springing back to neutral.

I spent a fist full of dollars with all the parts I bought to fix my mower, but it was a lot less than $500+ for a new Honda mower.

Glad I found this forum..

thank you again..

Last edited:

MVilla

Forum Newbie
Threads
T
Welcome to the Forum!
hank you.